Access to fish Redmire pool....

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Access to fish Redmire pool....

Post by Pallenpool »

Just in case one cannot get through the whole absurdity of a ‘phone war’ here’s my take on Redmire.

I like to look at Redmire as a holy grail - for some it was very real indeed - for me it has now passed into a mythical place - it suits my mind - mostly everything that inspired my angling life has happened at this place - and as a memory it is as it was all those years ago - just as it should be - a magical place suspended in time.

If nothing else it could also help with the endless disappointment.

Secretly I was hoping the new owners would not allow any more fishing to take place there - let it and it’s inhabitants swim untouched by anymore human intervention. But then what would happen to its wellbeing? Like everything all must pass eventually.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Lea Dweller wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:11 pm
Snape wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 am
StalkingLuke wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 am It's a shame the old Redmire Forum has disappeared, there were some great discussions on there. I wonder if it could be archived in some way? Perhaps it's already gone down the internet plug hole!
Sadly I expect it has gone down the plug hole.
The forum admin was a member of the Richardson family who have sold the estate and cut all ties.
From what I have gathered from reading the posts on this subject, it would seem unlikely that an individual would be able to fish Redmire this season.
Unless of course they were lucky enough to be alerted to the fact that someone was willing to sell a 'slot'. I must confess fishing Redmire is on my 'bucket list' despite having read that it is a shadow of what it once was. I would be prepared to 'blank', I know that many people do, but at least I could tick it off the list! :Hahaha:
Since Skeff's renovations it is more or less back to its former glory.
The cancellations etc are usually put up on the Facebook Redmire Pool Open Group page.
TFF member but infrequent visitor 'The Fishing Priest' is the man Les Bamford goes to when slots need filling.

The Facebook Redmire Pool Open Group is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/260443730790358/

Way back in 2008 I started a Facebook Redmire group but it got out of hand and was killing the forum so I closed it down in 2014 and archived it.
If anyone wants to see it for the posts and photos but you can't join. it is here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/redmirepool/
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

From what I can gather there has been a extraordinary amount of effort to revive the pool recently. I'm not sure that it would be a shadow of what it once was, but I'm not that bothered either way, I just have this nagging itch to fish there, traditional rod and reel and traditional baits.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thank you Snape and other others for the additional information. My comments about Redmire being a 'shadow of it's former self' were based on comments I read quite some time ago, I was clearly unaware of Skeff having done a lot of work! I will look out for any possibility of spending a couple of days at Redmire if the opportunity presents itself, thank you again for updating me! :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

This is the Redmire I dream about....

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Snape wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:39 pm This is the Redmire I dream about....

Beautiful, I will keep hoping! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

When was that photo taken? it seems that the large willow tree is in the background and that came down I think sometime in the 1980s.

The descriptive writings of some of our most famous anglers who fished the water in the 50s, 60s and early 70s painted the picture of Redmire for me and of course those days will never return and with those days the Redmire as it was has gone.

I decided some years ago I would never visit or fish Redmire as the picture painted in those writings will have gone and the fear of disappointment is too great for me to risk it.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm

When was that photo taken? it seems that the large willow tree is in the background and that came down I think sometime in the 1980s.

The descriptive writings of some of our most famous anglers who fished the water in the 50s, 60s and early 70s painted the picture of Redmire for me and of course those days will never return and with those days the Redmire as it was has gone.

I decided some years ago I would never visit or fish Redmire as the picture painted in those writings will have gone and the fear of disappointment is too great for me to risk it.
This photo was taken in the 70s

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

The old willow came down in the 74/75 winter. There were numerous attempts by the old syndicate and later Les to reinstate a weeping willow but every one planted quickly died !

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I have tried unsuccessfully at a few phone wars to get a permit but eventually when I got through only slots during the winter months were offered, I have decided to have another go in 10 years when I'm sixty maybe I will get lucky then.

Return to “Redmire Pool”