Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: Restoration.

Post by GregF »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 am
So thats where it went :doh: I'm glad you have it Greg, if I'd found it I'd have sent it to you anyway :Thumb: Enjoy.
Cheers Dave :Hat: I'm hoping it might see the banks of Redmire again one day.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

GregF wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:44 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 am
So thats where it went :doh: I'm glad you have it Greg, if I'd found it I'd have sent it to you anyway :Thumb: Enjoy.
Cheers Dave :Hat: I'm hoping it might see the banks of Redmire again one day.
I reckon I'd be happy fishing there now too. If you make it over, give me a shout and I'll pop over for a cuppa.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Will do :Thumb:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for this piece of history JPC; it is very interesting how procedures have evolved over the past years at Redmire.

The new management team however will be primarily interested in the future of the pool. Those that have put so much time, energy and money into the restoration, and maybe others too, will have to decide what they think the rules should be, that are in the best interests of the water. A similar approach works well in many successful organisations. It is usually only politics and or powerful vested interests that gets in the way.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

I don't think the management at Redmire will change, as far as I know Les will continue to oversee the running of the place. There are some pretty stringent rules at Redmire but there is element of "fish at all costs" in some carp anglers (always has been) and you don't know which ones when you take their bookings. Add to that Redmire is no different to any other water in so much as you can't police it 24/7. Rule bending and breaking is not new at Redmire, read the Carp Catchers Club book, in one letter Walker berates his fellow members because someone or someone's left a load of litter on the banks, John Nixon lost his lease because of litter left on the estate, I also believe there were a few other issues the trustees were not happy with. During Hiltons control Jacks lease came under threat when a syndicate member became abusive to one of the farm workers, Jack had to expel someone. I also remember Tom Mintram being furious at the antics of two members after he and Jack returned from a few days fishing at the Pool, Tom wanted Jack to "kick them out" but Jack at that time had other things on his mind. I won't go into what they found. When I ran it I too found myself in a position where I had to refuse to renew a membership due the breaking of several rules.
Sadly rule bending and breaking along with unethical (to most of us) tactics have been around big fish angling for years and it's not just carp fishing, some of the things that go on in "high level" pike fishing and barbel fishing make even the most iffy carp anglers look like saints !

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

JPC wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 am I don't think the management at Redmire will change, as far as I know Les will continue to oversee the running of the place. There are some pretty stringent rules at Redmire but there is element of "fish at all costs" in some carp anglers (always has been) and you don't know which ones when you take their bookings. Add to that Redmire is no different to any other water in so much as you can't police it 24/7. Rule bending and breaking is not new at Redmire, read the Carp Catchers Club book, in one letter Walker berates his fellow members because someone or someone's left a load of litter on the banks, John Nixon lost his lease because of litter left on the estate, I also believe there were a few other issues the trustees were not happy with. During Hiltons control Jacks lease came under threat when a syndicate member became abusive to one of the farm workers, Jack had to expel someone. I also remember Tom Mintram being furious at the antics of two members after he and Jack returned from a few days fishing at the Pool, Tom wanted Jack to "kick them out" but Jack at that time had other things on his mind. I won't go into what they found. When I ran it I too found myself in a position where I had to refuse to renew a membership due the breaking of several rules.
Sadly rule bending and breaking along with unethical (to most of us) tactics have been around big fish angling for years and it's not just carp fishing, some of the things that go on in "high level" pike fishing and barbel fishing make even the most iffy carp anglers look like saints !
There are a lot of well known anglers with shady pasts - and that's putting it mildly. Unfortunately it's human nature ..... but I'd still cut their hands off :tea:

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

A bit harsh Dave, perhaps ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Personal recommendation of an angler to the Management from existing trusted anglers is always good. It creates a 'pool of suitable anglers'.

Harsh - perhaps - but also true! An extra rod - "the snide". Soaping! Loads more inc poaching!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Another excellent post JPC. I guess its all about self esteem. And if someone decides that they must catch a particular weight of fish, whatever the cost, then they will do everything legal and illegal to succeed. As Dave says, we are all dodgy. I'm not going to let him near my hands however.....
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Absolutely right Olly
John Harding

Return to “Redmire Pool”