JW Martin images/pictures?

This forum belongs to J. W. Martin.
Badger1
Roach

JW Martin images/pictures?

Post by Badger1 »

Hello all,

Bit of a long-shot this as J.W. Martin seems to be an enigma in many ways but does anyone have any images other than the standard book images you occasionally see with him sat with shotgun, rod and a young lad with a net?

Or maybe photos you think could be him? Very few seems pictures seem to survive considering he was in the tackle trade and seems to have been reasonably successful.

Many thanks

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: JW Martin images/pictures?

Post by Mark »

There is one picture in this thread but not sure if it is a cut down of the picture you mention.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 99&t=13288
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

A shot of the great man fishing for Barbel and/or Chub. He looks a real character.
bd4c88a7d99f95ad351011e3d6019a86.jpg
The photograph is from his book Barbel and Chub fishing and is the same as appears alsewhere in the forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Thanks Gents, yes those are the ones you can usually find. I'm surprised there are not more really but hay-ho. Yes he certainly looks a proper character!

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Badger1 wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:25 am Hello all,

Bit of a long-shot this as J.W. Martin seems to be an enigma in many ways but does anyone have any images other than the standard book images you occasionally see with him sat with shotgun, rod and a young lad with a net?

Or maybe photos you think could be him? Very few seems pictures seem to survive considering he was in the tackle trade and seems to have been reasonably successful.

Many thanks
Hello Badger1,

I have just purchased a photograph, titled "Old Photo Of Group Of Men & Women Prior To Going Fishing", not dated, but I would think at sometime prior to 1914. Martin died in 1915. Could it be J W Martin with his son, sitting to the bottom left of the photograph. His son would be a little older and Martin a bit leaner. Any thoughts!!!

Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Stour Otter, I saw this photo too but only pondered ,prephaphs? Now you have highlighted it I think there is a good likeness.Yet I know a little of the history of J.W.M. It is said he was ill about the time the photo was taken you suggest late 1914 but he was fishing.It most certainly it is NOT his son, possibly one of two grandsons.The other photo on this site is a clipped down image of the one in his book. I hold the full size original.Yes I agree there are only a handful of photos of the Trent Otter. But watch this space there is a book in the pipeline. I to and others welcome any titbits of J.W. Martin that are not in his books. Tony :Thumb:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Tony.

My previous post actually suggested PRIOR 1914, not late. Presumably his sons or grandsons went off to war in 1914. From Martin's circle of friends, it would be great to ID the gentleman sat the other side of him!

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

Certainly a striking resemblance to JWM, especially those cheekbones.
Curious about the buildings in the background, they look quite modern?

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

AndyB, you can't hide cheekbones like that. The photograph may have been taken, below a station platform. Although one of the gents in the front row is wearing goggles and his hat is still on back to front. Looking forward to having a good look at the original when it arrives.

Regards
Stour Otter
Last edited by Stour Otter on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Interesting,i see the line coming of the bottom of his centerpin,the correct way?

Return to “J. W. Martin”