IDLING A FEW HOURS TODAY....

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

IDLING A FEW HOURS TODAY....

Post by TrentFisher »

I had no plans for fishing today.........but sometimes you get that itch and you have to scratch it.

That is what happened after a lunch today.
I guess the lack of fishing outings was the cause and after a walk along my local stretch of the Trent with my terrier Fudge this morning must have been the trigger.
I was in no rush ,it was only ever going to be a chuck and chance it affair after a chub.
I had some crusts and paste baits available so bait sorted.
Rod was a 9ft glass Farlow's Holdfast and Mitchell 300.
I had a pre packed bag ready to go so it was just a case of getting to the river.
With no urgency from my side I took my time to settle in to my chosen swim.There was some slack water on the inside due to the flow being slowed by the branches of a group of Willows,they also pushed the flow out giving some slower water 3-4 rod lengths out.
Chair in place ,first cast made,all was well.
I started off touch ledgering and this gave me chance to absorb the surroundings and the sound of nature.
I was soon tuned into wren's robins,long tailed tits,these sounds were disturbed ..............
no not by a thud on the line but a group of passing Canadian geese.
A woodpecker could be heard on the far bank and then a pheasant broke cover as a dog flushed him out and was quickly recalled by it's owner.
Couple more casts made ,and finally some interest ,the response woeful by yours truly!
The breeze was strong enough to help shed the golden red leaves from the trees,the view down stream from me had the same colour palette which gave some light to the cloudy afternoon.
My rod was now propped up in the rest and I sat back in my chair not really serious about the fishing just enjoying being there.
I was snapped out of my day dream as the top of the rod bumped round .
The strike was made.
Fresh air was the result....oh well.
Serves you right for day dreaming was my thought.
Another half chance was the final action of the session .
As the light faded the bats made an appearance to bring the curtain down on a fishless but most enjoyable view hours idling.
Good for the soul.
There is always next time.

Thanks for reading
All the best
Nige.

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Re: IDLING A FEW HOURS TODAY....

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Lovely account of a day on the bank. If I may be so bold, sir - it's 'Canada' geese.

Return to “River Trent”