Tackle Tarts and Cheap Pins

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JockScott
Minnow

Tackle Tarts and Cheap Pins

Post by JockScott »

I recently sold a few rods on Ebay and received a very pleasant reply. Among the rods was a restored Wizard and he seemed so pleased to now own what he had always wanted and he was going to use it. I was so happy to know it went to the right person and for the right reasons, he was going to be used. Definitely no tackle tart because this rod had no makers label.... well done buddy there are to many of us often think that without originality, tags or labels it can't catch fish.... That leads me on to say when I was a young teenager, about 1963, I was given a pre ww2 Allcocks Easicast that did not work. I removed what I thought then was a complicated interior and wire brake mechanism and it then became an excellent working wide drum Centrepin. To be blunt for the most part every bit as good as the Popular and infinitely superior to the Trudex I had. I did this for several years for friends. I am not running down the Easicast, in fact I used one for Pike fishing and they are excellent good quality reels (not the post war one..Poo) but at that time good new fixed spool reels were very quickly taking over making the Easicast and others obsolete. Tackle was expensive and money was something that others had and It really was about enjoying fishing with the tackle you could afford, make or adapt.... How it has changed, by comparison tackle is now very cheap.
Jockscott.
When I learn how to get photos loaded.... I will..... help

JockScott
Minnow

Re: Tackle Tarts and Cheap Pins

Post by JockScott »

In around 1900 Average wages was about 75p per week for the average man in the street. The cost of a 2 in brass reel was 10p the cost for enough silk line for it was 12p. You do the maths ...............!!!!
Loose eyed hooks in the early sixties cost 1 penny each (240 pennies to the pound)

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I'd love to see some pictures of that reel. It's very simple to post them ...

Select "Full Editor & Preview"

There you'll find a square black icon with a green dot and some white. Select that and just do what it says. Quite simple really...

Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I suppose it's worth mentioning that to post images on here you have to have some on your device. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but my dear wife, for instance, hadn't grasped that you had to have an image 'filed somewhere' to be able to upload it to any platform. OK Snapchat and Instagram work quicker but that's another story.

I'm afraid I am a bit of a dinosaur Jock, and only use a home PC to access the 'net. And it is on this home PC, where I now sit, that I have my images...as well as on some memory sticks to keep the PC uncluttered for security checks.

My PC, like so many, runs a Windows program and I store my images in 'My Pictures' the default storage folder for all images on any Windows Operating System ( OS). If I upload images to my PC from a camera they go there. If I right click on images on the net I want to ......erm, 'borrow', .... they go there too.

So firstly, to help you upload your images, .... which I might say all sound of great interest.....do you know where you are storing them?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Nobby wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 am I suppose it's worth mentioning that to post images on here you have to have some on your device. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but my dear wife, for instance, hadn't grasped that you had to have an image 'filed somewhere' to be able to upload it to any platform. OK Snapchat and Instagram work quicker but that's another story.

I'm afraid I am a bit of a dinosaur Jock, and only use a home PC to access the 'net. And it is on this home PC, where I now sit, that I have my images...as well as on some memory sticks to keep the PC uncluttered for security checks.

My PC, like so many, runs a Windows program and I store my images in 'My Pictures' the default storage folder for all images on any Windows Operating System ( OS). If I upload images to my PC from a camera they go there. If I right click on images on the net I want to ......erm, 'borrow', .... they go there too.

So firstly, to help you upload your images, .... which I might say all sound of great interest.....do you know where you are storing them?
Blimey you could be sitting at my PC Nobby, that is exactly the same as me! We have a tablet but don't ask me anything about uploading from that I have not a clue.. and as for my wife, well..... :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh, well at least you've got a tablet......all I have are paracetamol......

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

In a similar vein my most used item of vintage tackle over the last few years has been an unamed 3 piece split cane rod . It might be described as a junior style rod with a short handle . It carries it's Long and varied history with pride .
It was restored and modified by a lovely gentleman named Edward who used to work for the Cunard line as a joiner . It has wooden turnings fore and aft of the cork handle. It definitely not a museum piece but is a great usable rod .

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

loading photos....
Like the constipated mathematician I worked it out with a pencil and then the cheeky blighter tells me my files are to big... :Cry: 4 help

I think my phone is like yours Nobby, does yours have brass hinges too ? Perhaps you could not afford the upgrade... I am old skool and take photos with a proper camera.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

'Phone???......I don't even know how to turn a smartphone on Jock! I do have a couple of digital cameras though...pocket sized, 7x zoom, bought secondhand on eBay for about £20, when they were £200 new ten years ago. Very handy for fishing trips as they are pocket-sized.

The 'file too big' thing is because your images are too high definition...if the site let you upload them it would use up too much internet space and get charged huge site fees accordingly.

You can probably set things up to take smaller files by lowering the picture quality. If you want to change the file size and dimensions of existing images you might try the free download here:

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

I've been using that one for some years without any problems.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

This is the funniest post I've read in ages :Hahaha:

It took me ages to explain to my late father that he had to connect to the internet to get his emails and that they didn't just appear. Once I'd explained that the mail was like the post and that the Net was the postman delivering it - he got there in the end.

As for Mrs Burr and "How do I do that?" or the spine chilling "How did I do that?"

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”