What J W Youngs reel is this?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

What J W Youngs reel is this?

Post by Fredline »

This Youngs reel is a 3 1/2” x 1 3/4” with a rim lever check a centre spool release drag with large twin bulbous Xylonite handles and a fitted line guard. But what is it? It does have Windex features and I cannot find another but I am sure someone out there will know what model it is. Many thanks FL.ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: What J W Youngs reel is this?

Post by Nobby »

I can only guess that in 1939 they intended to do a 'sea' version of the Aerial 'Match' with a deep and wide, high-capacity spool, that never went into production.

Surely it's either a prototype of that or it's a one-off special build??

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Fredline wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 pm This Youngs reel is a 3 1/2” x 1 3/4” with a rim lever check a centre spool release drag with large twin bulbous Xylonite handles and a fitted line guard. But what is it? It does have Windex features and I cannot find another but I am sure someone out there will know what model it is. Many thanks FL.ImageImageImageImage
I have been informed by the man himself, Rupe Attwood that this is an Allcocks Brighton reel that preceded the Windex. It has the same backplate as the 1939 Aerial Match. It will be covered in his new J W Young book available by the end of the year.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done John! another mystery solved by a fellow TFF member!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a Windex and can see the similarities - mine is for a 'lefty'.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I had a Brighton but it had the Youngs dimpled handles, tear drop check lever and the windex drag type centre cap.

Wal.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”