Alcocks Record Breaker.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Alcocks Record Breaker.

Post by Olly »

According to the Allcocks 1966 Guide page 176 it has the page heading of 'J W Young centre-pin swimming reels' it has three reels.
Rapidex: Record Breaker: and Trudex in 4in & 5.5in.

I was looking earlier at the "New" J W Young & Sons website as the Co. has recently changed hands - which I didn't know! - - - jwyoungandsons.com
And the Record Breaker is not mentioned is the history of the Co. Odd?

https://www.jwyoungandsons.com/?fbclid= ... fuIJ1gBA#/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Olly wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:19 pm According to the Allcocks 1966 Guide page 176 it has the page heading of 'J W Young centre-pin swimming reels' it has three reels.
Rapidex: Record Breaker: and Trudex in 4in & 5.5in.

I was looking earlier at the "New" J W Young & Sons website as the Co. has recently changed hands - which I didn't know! - - - jwyoungandsons.com
And the Record Breaker is not mentioned is the history of the Co. Odd?

https://www.jwyoungandsons.com/?fbclid= ... fuIJ1gBA#/
I don't think it was ever on that site,Olly .... hence my wondering if they really did make it once...it also never had their name on it, which made it the first reel not to do so since 1963 if it was theirs.

I get the idea, following Garry Mills on FaceBook, that he may have taken over manufacture of JW Young reels.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very strange the origin & history of the Record Breaker reel. I had one a long time ago and got rid for a Rapidex I think?

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

ImageI got mine as part of a job lot, at first glance and feel it seemed a bit heavy and made on a budget, but it’s simple and I like the blue finish. One for heavier line and bigger species, the Pike featured took sweetcorn !

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

To the best of my knowledge the Record Breaker centrepin reel was not made by J.W. Young & Sons. I believe they first appeared in the 1962 Allcocks catalogue. My 1965 Top Tackle Trade Catalogue displays the reel on the 'Trotting and General Purpose Centrepin Reels by Allcocks' page. As it was made from pressed aluminium, it is a completely different quality to the centrepins made by Youngs.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks Rupe, I think it's just that check lever that looks so 'JWY'? I did wonder if Young's ever sold parts to other makers...the later Speedias certainly look to have an identical check spring.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Just a thought Nobbler but could the Record Breaker be a Reuben Heaton made reel marketed by Allcock's?

Any way Fatty will put that out there for consideration.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Were RH still about in the Sixties, Piemeister? I had no idea!

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Nobby wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 am Were RH still about in the Sixties, Piemeister? I had no idea!
The old style Reuben Heaton shut up shop in 1971, so the time scale would fit the Record Breaker......and they were well known for the manufacture of pressed metal centre pin reels. These were then sold to other outlets who very often put their own name on them.

So Nobbler, the evidence whilst not being conclusive could provide the answers you seek with further research :Hat:

RH still trades today but mostly making hand made scales and sundries for the tackle trade.....they have a very interesting web site that is worth a peruse.

Fatty also wonders if RH made the bodies of some Ambidex reels namely the Mark 3 version, as quality of finish was not as high as previous versions perhaps?

Maybe/maybe not although there was some interesting paperwork and invoices that were addressed to Youngs within the appropriate time scale.....which Fatty got a squint at before disappearing into private hands. The plot thickens......... :eyebrow:

Any way hope you are well and still fettling?

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

If you look at the centre boss of a Record Breaker it has two screws at 180 degrees and a grub screw in the centre. The Grice & Young 'Jecta' and 'Avon Royal Supreme' reels have a similar boss whereas the other 'Record Breaker' type reels; Speedia & Mordex 'Merlin', have three screws set at 120 degrees and a grub screw as do most other centrepins.

The Grice & Young 'Big Piker' & 'Avon Royal Supreme' have a similar type of check switch to the Youngs reels.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”