Best practice for loading line

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Re: Best practice for loading line

Post by Willsmodger »

[/quote]
I've tried the JW line stretch thing to make the line limp and it definitely works. Maybe try it under the cover of darkness to avoid any funny looks!
[/quote]

I'm just stretching me line officer. Seriously though thanks for the confirmation it does actually work.

I've definitely got to do something about the fluorocarbon on one of my Mitchell fixed spools, which is completely mad. So it might very well be a case of "never mind what I'm doing, you just mind your own business and walk your dog"

All the best.
Will.

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:13 am I find it best to put something like a pencil through the hole in the line spool and load the line with the spool rotating. This cuts down on line twist when loading a centrepin.
If there is a spool arbour available for your model of reel then that would stop the line kinking over the line lays. Failing that, you may be able to make one from thick sheet cork or a strip of rubber mat.
Great thoughts, thank you

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

My application for all intents and purposes is the same as Dave - with one addition - I immerse the spool of line in a bucket of water, it helps with the line lay as it offers a reasonable amount of resistance and less twist when loading onto the pin - when Dave mentions laying line across the spool I do this by hooking line across my index finger and work left to right enabling a fairly even distribution. Just one other thing I personally would never use fluro for a main line only the hook link - it’s just to wild.
:Hat:

Addendum:
I also load line onto any pin or fixed reel from a bulk spool.
Last edited by Pallenpool on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Willsmodger wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am
I've tried the JW line stretch thing to make the line limp and it definitely works. Maybe try it under the cover of darkness to avoid any funny looks!
[/quote]

I'm just stretching me line officer. Seriously though thanks for the confirmation it does actually work.

I've definitely got to do something about the fluorocarbon on one of my Mitchell fixed spools, which is completely mad. So it might very well be a case of "never mind what I'm doing, you just mind your own business and walk your dog"

All the best.
Will.
[/quote]
Apparently fluorocarbon has a lot more stretch than mono, it just takes more to stretch it in the first place so give it a good yank!

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

All the best.
Will.
[/quote]
Apparently fluorocarbon has a lot more stretch than mono, it just takes more to stretch it in the first place so give it a good yank!
[/quote]

"I'm just giving me line a good yank officer"

"Yeah, we get a lot of that around here"

PeteB
Stickleback

Post by PeteB »

I also put a pencil through the spool and wet the line first then get my wife to hold the pencil under slight tension as I am putting the line on the reel. Been doing this for years and not had any problems.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I load 45 – 50 yards on my pins that all have wide spools. I try to ensure that the line lay is even across the reel and will adjust this from time to time. I've never had any problem with the line bedding in or running out of line playing a fish.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Post by Martin(rockape) »

I load 150 yds on my pins for 2 reasons 1 is that i fish a commercial fishery with carp that can give me a really good run for my money. And 2, i strip off a few yards every now and again when i feel the line has been under a lot of strain.

Loading line on the pin i put a pencil tbrough the spool and tape each end of the spool between two dining chairs. I apply a bit of tension on the line moving it side to side with my fingers whilst loading it. I also use a berkley line/ depth counter so i know how much line I'm loading.
I might invest in a proper line loader as you can adjust it for tension.

The above works perfectly for me.

Regards

Martin

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

PeteB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:25 am I also put a pencil through the spool and wet the line first then get my wife to hold the pencil under slight tension as I am putting the line on the reel. Been doing this for years and not had any problems.
I used to adopt that method, but spoiled things by burning her fingers once too often!

So now I use my 'bodge job' setup instead.
The foam rubber on either side of the spool is just enough to add the required tension, but can be adjusted by adding or removing foam lumps.
It's rather technical.
I find it much easier to load line when the reel is mounted on a rod handle of some sorts, so I lashed a totally unsuitable Fuji reel fitting to a section of Hardy steel core Salmon fly rod ( ! ), and added a couple of totally unsuitable rings. It works fine, but don't ask me what the test curve is.

One of these days I shall concoct something rather more traditional and elegant, but it does the job for now. :Chuckle:
Line thing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”