Pridex Salmon Reel

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Pridex Salmon Reel

Post by Mr B »

I have just picked up this reel second hand and would like to know a little more about this model.
I wondered if there is a catalog on the TTF describing this reel, I haven’t seen one?
It is 4 inches across with a drum about an inch wide.
I got because it was a great price, made in England and I have other reels by the same manufacturer that have been faultless despite there age.
It was advertised as a Salmon reel dated 1945.
I know they are not an up market reels but after cleaning it up I can see that it has had hardly any weir and is in first class condition.
I was going to use it for Salmon fishing.
Be interested to know your thoughts, all you JW Young & Sons aficionados.

Mr B
Ps the cap is for prospective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Pridex Salmon Reel

Post by Barbelseeker »

Well, I knew my J W Young book, Christmas present to me from me, would come in useful.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Tight lines
Peter

Tried to find relevant pages.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What a great book!!!
Will return PM

Thank you
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Also in the Allcocks Guides for 1966 & '67.

Two 4in versions in '66 Guide - C238 MW (medium width) - possibly 7/8th in. Cost 72/- + p/tax of 12/-. Weight 8.75oz
------------------------------------C240 4in W (extra wide) - (according to the '67Guide 1.1/4 in) Cost 82/6 + P/tax 13/9. Weight 9.25oz

Only 1 version in 1967 - C240 - details above - but cost inc. p/tax 97/1. Line cap 30yds 10FT + 75yds backing.

The 6 Pridex models in 1966 were reduced to 4 in 1967.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Now that’s interesting too!
Thanks for that... the book above looks really good... I have read all the pages in the photos above.
I wonder how much we would pay now for a Reel like that made in Britain.
Mr B

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes, what surprised me most, was the number of firms who re-badged Young's reels as their own.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Those in the 2 Allcocks Guides above credit "J W Young" for their reels - both in the fly section and centrepins in the coarse section - - not forgetting the Ambidex reels in 'Spinning'!

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

As the author of the JW Young book shown above, it is good to know it is of use :Thumb:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Ambidexman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm As the author of the JW Young book shown above, it is good to know it is of use :Thumb:
It looks a great book!
You must be very proud... some time and energy must have gone into that for sure.

Mr B

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Ambidexman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm As the author of the JW Young book shown above, it is good to know it is of use :Thumb:
Congratulations on a very interesting and thoughtful book.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”