List of Ambidex Reel Models

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: List of Ambidex Reel Models

Post by Watermole+ »

This is a better one. Apart from a couple of scratches on both sides, it is as new and has only ever been used for about two seasons. I had the chance to buy it in a tackle shop January Sale (Remember them?) as it was superceded by the new model with full bale pick-up and nobody wanted it. On the occasions when I went spinning, I almost invariably used the 'Duco' out of choice,-even in preference to the 'Altex'..! So this little Ambidex has stayed in it's box and packing for decades...

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

This is another thread that I have found very interesting and useful.

Along with the 'Leeway' rod that I mentioned elsewhere, I picked up this Ambidex Casting Reel for £3.

It's not in the best cosmetic condition, but works very smoothly. I wonder if any of the experts can tell what year it is please?

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Forgot, you'll probably need this side view too. Doh!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Looks great to me, with battle scars included!!!!!

How'd you fancy doubling your money???? :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Looks great to me, with battle scars included!!!!!

How'd you fancy doubling your money???? :wink:

Lol! Nice try, but I'll hang on to it for a bit I think :D

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Fairy Nuff.......enjoy it mate. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Looks like an Ambidex No. 4 to me - first available in 1958.
Jim

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

As VFC (Jim) has said this example is of a Casting Reel, Number Four, first launched in 1958. The two piece bale arm would indicate that it is one of the earlier models. The, so called, Number Four was the first Ambidex to use the streamline body part JWY 591 with a blue body. The 'sprung' folding handle seems correct for the model with the part no. JWY 548. The new body design was used in most of the following Ambidexes, with this shape only ceasing to be used when all production ceased abruptly in 1969.

The problem with all Ambidexes are the 'minor' variations within each type. I can't ascertain from the photo's whether your version has the two piece all nylon spool or the one piece nylon and metal spool. Either way this was the first Ambidex to have a nylon, non-corrosive spool to eliminate casting friction etc. And for the most part your example looks correct for the type and model!

You have an eye for a bargain though Old Cod because these reels originally sold for seven pounds and ten shillings and even today command prices that can make your eyes water, if in original condition and still 'in the box'.

Yours is what I would term a user. So my recommendation to you is, use it and catch a monster on it!

I hope this has been of help?

Mole Power!!!
Say aye tae'a pie!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, I'm glad you found your way here, Moley...what with your pals in the Tea Club, and all that.

I notice OCJ's reel has the early type of folding handle, with the long chrome locking arm. It has the same part number as the later folding handle with the tiny clip, as they didn't bother changing the mould, it seems. Just modified it to create a little 'pip' to lock the new smaller clip in place.

Lazy lot! :wink:

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Jim, Moley & Nobby,

Many thanks for your help, the depth of knowledge on this site appears to be invaluable

The Ambidex does indeed have a spool with blue painted metal base plate and nylon top part.

This certainly is intended to be a 'user' and in fact, after a bit of a clean and oil up, once loaded with new line I intend to take it Tench fishing in the morning.

Thanks again

John
Last edited by Old-CodJA on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”