BB on the Beeb

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Trevor
Eel

BB on the Beeb

Post by Trevor »

Did anyone see Countryfile on BBC1 this evening?
It was a 'special' about children and the countryside, and featured a number of BB items including a brief biography, Brendon Chase, Little Grey Men, scraper board art, plus connections with fishing.
Probably available on iPlayer or repeated somewhere for those that missed it.
Nice to see BB getting some mainstream airtime :Thumb:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: BB on the Beeb

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the heads up Trevor, I am just watching it on the BBC iPlayer now. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Brendan Chase is on by bedside table at the moment and I have read a few chapters already.

In 1954 my form teacher, Mr Gibbons, read it to our class on Friday afternoons. I found it enchanting and I still recall how I felt when he read the chapter about the Honey Buzzard's nest. Up until now I have never actually read the book myself and it has stood the test of time.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

A fair point Firebird, given the nature of these 'magazine' programmes it's to be expected.
However, I think the features will have brought BB to the attention of many who've never heard of him before and encourage a few to dig a little deeper, which is no bad thing.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I watched it last night and it was nice to see BB brought to the attention of the general public. It was lovely to see children being taught the wonders of the natural environment around us, and especially the kids fishing... the remarks and expressions on some of their faces was magical. Well done the Beeb and Countryfile team. :Hat: Reedling

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Just good to see see part of the BB story.Wish there was a longer chat with Badger I have had chats with him about BB so much information .The best Countryfile program that I have see for a while.Lets have more maybe Jack Hargreaves,Benard Venables I am sure we can add a few more.Great to see the kids getting envoled.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Interesting feature . I came to BB from reading Wildfowling books/Shooting times and then. TV adaptation of Brendon Chase in 1980/81 . Then found out his carp exploits ...read fishermans folly and wood pool .. He has the feel and ability to express it with pen and scraper board in the way in which I get it re nature .... Simplicity in its most enjoyable way

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”