wild lone

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Capebreton
Perch

wild lone

Post by Capebreton »

To my surprise and delight I found a first edition of wild lone in a second hand bookshop in Nova Scotia. How did it get to Canada? Who brought it ? No dust wrapper but who care I bought it to read not as an investment. What a good writer he is; I am now enjoying the life and times of Rufus.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: wild lone

Post by Rutland Rod »

Only just saw this, my copy sounds like yours although it had a tattered dust jacket, I live near to the area in B.B's book, if you get an atlas and look at the area between Market Harborough in Leics to the north and Northampton in the south, the A1 to the east and Daventry to the west that's broadly the country the pack of Hounds which pursue Rufus cover, although most of Rufus's life is centred around Lamport where B.B was born in the rectory where his father was the vicar. One mention in the book is of the glow from the furnaces at Corby which at that time was a major steel producer. Still lovely countryside and still hunted (within the law) by the same pack, you have found a smashing book.
Tight lines Dave

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I am a latecomer to the writings of BB.Reading "Confessions" a couple of years ago started me off.I am about halfway through Letters from Compton Deverrill and read The Idle Country man in the spring.Being brought up in a village that was similar to the ones he writes about brought back many memories.I missed a copy of Wild Lone recently.The bookshop was closing and would only accept last minute cash.I didnt have enough and when i went back a week later it was gone.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

I was in the pub where the Pitchley Hunt is (was?) based just the other week..... Lovely to see the countryside of BB's description first hand.

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”