River Roding

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

River Roding

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Any tales/thoughts experiences on, of the Roding , Anyone?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: River Roding

Post by Mark »

Where is it John, I've never heard of it. :oops:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Mark it rises in Dunlow Essex and flows down through the fields into urban essex around Woodford, by Wanstead and finally into the Thames at Barking Creek.

I met a chap last week in Epping Forest who told me that he did most of his river fishing on it. Small stream stuff .Dace perch chub. I wont have time to fish it probably but would be fascinated to hear anty fishy tales

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

It sounds a lovely little river.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

VernonBenables

Post by VernonBenables »

I have a club ticket which enables me to fish the Roding around Abridge but I've not been down there yet.Perhaps i'll go and have a look and report back.

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Hello all. I stumbled across this forum recently and noticed a select group of chaps enjoy talking about the Epping Forest ponds and other waters in the area. I live in the area and do most of my fishing on the Roding and Wake Valley Pond, though am adding to my forest waters this season. I fished the Roding yesterday and last weekend and enjoyed some great fishing on both occasions, with chub, roach and perch all fishing well, provided you can get away from the shoals of minnows that throw themselves on your hook as soon as it hits the water. There are some stunning spots to spend a day wetting a line - beautiful sun-dappled pools and bends hidden away in the trees and undergrowth with not a soul to be seen all day. As already mentioned, conditions can change quickly, with the river around a metre higher today than it was yesterday, but go at the right time and it's superb. I'll attempt to post some pics of yesterday's perch haul if I can figure out how to do it! Any tips on using the img BBCode?

Wake Valley Pond is also fishing well, with roach and especially perch being very active. There are some big fish in there but catching them is not easy given the tricky swims and level of natural food in the water. Stunning place to fish though, if you can ignore the road noise from the Epping New Road.
Last edited by Bigoll on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Hello again Bigoll, and thanks for telling us what you know about the Roding.

Couple of questions where do you park? or are you walikg distance from the river and do you need a permit/ticket?

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

PM me for parking options
Last edited by Bigoll on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Many thanks again bigoll Ill have a look at this when I get a chance. I ll even take a wander if i getthe time time the old rod and reel if i getthe blooming time.

Thanks again

Rutilus Eye

Post by Rutilus Eye »

The Roding was wiped out by a serious chemical pollution in the late 1980s, but has been "clean" as they say for several decades by now. Much of it looks ideal for chub, dace and roach.

Return to “River Roding”