River Roding

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
AnthonyR
Stickleback

Re: River Roding

Post by AnthonyR »

Hi guys,

I know this is a long old thread but the Roding is now my local river (just moved house). However, I'm struggling to find out if the free stretches of the River (mentioned in this thread) between Buckhurst Hill and the Thames are still free? I know that BDAC and Ongar own several stretches further upstream and I'll most probably sign up to BDAC but I had a good walk along the river last weekend and there look to be some nice swims in the Roding Valley Nature Reserve section (behind the main lake and further downstream by Loughton Rugby club). I don't want to presume this section is free and annoy anyone so if anyone knows for sure I would be most grateful (there's not much info on this matter - been Googling for ages but to no avail).

Many thanks,
Anthony

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

As far as I know the bit from Loughton to the Thames is all free fishing... it's had the bejaysus beaten out of it in past years due to pollution predation and poaching but there are still some fish to be had...

The bit by the nature reserve and the lake behind, used to have some massive bream in years gone by... Ongar and Billericay's stretches still throw up some nice Chub, Dace, Roach and Perch...

As well as the Roding, there are other rivers within a shortish drive from Loughton... the Can, Wid, Ter, Chelmer, and Blackwater....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AnthonyR
Stickleback

Post by AnthonyR »

Many thanks Harry!

I also just received confirmation from the Redbridge parks authority that the whole stretch within the Redbridge boundary (so just up to the end of the nature reserve I think) is free fishing. And yes I've heard some very awful stories of pollution and poaching along this little river - such a shame!

I'll be signing up to BDAC this week but very eager to get out at the weekend and just see what's left in there.

Anthony

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The bits that BDAC have are quite good if terribly overgrownat Shonks Mill.. the bit by Abridge is quite good but with a bare bank... there are plenty of fish up near Abridge, and the stretch of the Wid at Writtle is beautiful....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “River Roding”