What fish is this

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Andyac
Ruffe

What fish is this

Post by Andyac »

20200807_082421_copy_756x1008.jpg

Hi All
I have been fishing since i was 10 and lucky enough to fish the river Test and Itchen so dont have a problem with fish indentification if i have my glasses on. I raked this little fish from the Ongar Roding a few weeks ago. No barbels rules out Stoneloach and Gudgeon. No spines rules out Stickleback and Ruffe. No large head rules out Bullhead. The colour scheme is all wrong for a Roding Minnow, they have a black lateral line and lighter under belly. I have caught 3 goldfish from the Roding so nothing is unusual. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: What fis is this

Post by Santiago »

Baby burbut! Otherwise known as a small headed bullhead.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

Always glad to see another species in the Roding.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

http://www.environmentdata.org/archive/ ... iginal.pdf - - - Spined Loach

It does appear Loach - like.

Some species you don't want in the river!
Last edited by Olly on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev D
Chub

Re: What fish is this

Post by Kev D »

Looks like a stone loach ,but no barbules???
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Might be worth sending to the local EA fishery people.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
This is my rake it cost £20 from a metal fab firm 20 yrs ago. I raked out two of the unusual fish along with 1 Roach, 1 Crayfish and lots of Bullhead. I always check the weed for fish and at Passingford Bridge years ago pulled out a 1oz Tench and recently a Elver. If i rake in another of this fish i,ll try to get a better picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

I have taken Tengisgol, s advice and sent my picture to the EA. The EA have a Covid 19 message and they may take longer than 10 days to answer my (our) question. Perhaps I should tell them I have done two fish netting at the thames at Thurrock with EA and both times we nettered rare fish not seen for years. A Butterfish is real. I am not in a position to discount any suggestion however I may be wrong but I think a burbut has a barbule under the chin? The boss, not the one at the work place has allowed me a afternoon/evening session over the Roding at High Ongar Castle stretch tomorrow, God willing. I have checked the EA website and the Roding is up and rising with rain predicted all day, hopefully my two Avons will be out with Lobworm and Crust/Flake . A rising river is no where near as good as a dropping river. I have not been out for weeks, looking forward to fishing in the rain under my oval umbrella.
Best Wishes and tight lines if or when you get out next!

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
I got out today and went to the bottom end of Castles stretch and it was over the bank. Cripsey brook adding extra water. I trod on a wasp nest entrance and got stung on my finger for the 2nd time this year. I went to the top end and much better flow with slightly slower pace than walking pace. Here the river Roding is about 2 rod lengths wide to half a rod length and responds.to pole fishing and a very small feeder. I had my two heavy avons with bobbins. I have blanked here several times ,once in this actual swim and only caught a small Jack Pike further up. Within 30 minutes the bobbin on the lob tail moved towards the rod and I lifted into a quality fish only to retrieve my 12 barbless hook bare after about 5 seconds. The bony mouth of a good Perch probably. Then I caught two crayfish one after the other and thought the fish had gone. Shortly after the bobbin hit the rod on the lob tail and I missed it. 25 minutes later the lobworm bobbin shot up a 7 oz Roach was mine. A hour later a 5oz Roach was caught on the lob tail. Hope to return on Monday to the same swim and try and remember to get a crusty loaf.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

She was colouring up significantly this afternoon!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Roding”