Unknown gamble ... an A E Rudge from circa 1950

The A. E. Rudge and Son Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Unknown gamble ... an A E Rudge from circa 1950

Post by AshbyCut »

OK ... so I've either lost the plot altogether, and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames ... or, there's something I can do with this rod. Either way ... I think it will make a nice little project.

I have just pressed the 'buy it now' button on this curious little rod ... partly because I feel sorry for it ... partly because it's only 15 miles away ... and partly because I like various aspects of it, like the spigotted joints and the strangely "Allcockian" look to it.

It's a 3 piece rod comprised of a whole cane butt, a spliced whole cane centre, and a whole cane spliced to split cane tip. I didn't even ask the length, but I'm guessing about 10ft. 6in. to 11ft.

It has been 're-built' with new guides ... but seemingly by someone who has looked at split cane rods and not whole cane ... as it seems that none of the nodes have been whipped over, apart from the splicing.

It has also had the cork on the handle painted in gloss green !!!!!! (the gods of the angle forgive them).

The name of A E Rudge is impressed into the butt cap ... but on the rod itself there is only the hand-written name and address of a gentleman who lived at an address in Birmingham in 1950 ... not far from Villa Park ... and now a junior school, apparently.

Oh well ... whatever it's like it will give me something to do when the gout is at it's worst ! ;-)

Last edited by AshbyCut on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Unknown gamble ... an A E Rudge from circa 1950

Post by Loop Erimder »

I nearly went for that myself hope if turns out well for you Mal
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Yes, I looked at that, looks a decent enough little rod, green handle aside of course. I just had the feeling that after stripping the green off the cork would crumble, I sincerely hope not though, sir.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

saw that one too, good luck with it Mal

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Mal,

Not that I'm ever right but that looks to be an AE Rudge "The Champion" and should be 11 foot in length. I feel positive of it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just back from collecting the rod ... and I'm sorry Kingfisher, Sir ... it's not an 11ft. "The Champion" (good try though !!!)

I had been questioning in my head the fact that the photos showed a brass handle collar, but alloy reel rings and butt cap. However ... I can now confirm that the rod is 12 feet in length ... and there's a rod of identical length with identical furniture make up on the inthenetuk.com website in the A. E. Rudge and Son page (3rd rod down) :-

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... _Rudge.asp

The rod is die straight, and the cane and split cane are in very good condition. Apart from the handle, it just needs a couple of ferrules regluing.

One of the reel rings has had the date scratched into it ... the sort of thing I might have done as a lad ... so I'd like to imagine that the rod was once a young boy's prized possession :-

Now ... as to that handle !!! Why would anyone do that ??? I think I now know why.

The vendor had suggested that he thought the top of the handle had been whipped over before painting, but I thought I could see the pattern of tape and a sign of plastic showing through a small scratch in the paint. I admit i was wrong ... in a way. It had been whipped ... not with silk or thread, but with fishing line of maybe 8lb breaking strain ! :-

The handle turns out to be a thin sheet cork ... rather like the Allcock's Isis ... and I now believe the work was done to cover up a small hole in the sheet :-

It's of a size that I am sure will cover nicely with Pitpaste to make it a good, usable rod ... and I hope that the rest of the handle cleans up so nicely.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A quiet afternoons gentle work and the handle is stripped and ready for a bit of Pitpaste (when I get it ordered !) :-

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mal,
That looks mighty fine to me sir, well done.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Bob Brookes wrote:That looks mighty fine to me sir
Thankyou Bob, Sir.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Yes it does, good work my friend.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “A. E. Rudge and Son Cane Rods”