A bad listing ... but NOT a disappointment

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

A bad listing ... but NOT a disappointment

Post by AshbyCut »

You may have seen the post I placed about my latest Bernard Sealey & Co. acquisition ...

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=26273

Well ... the rod arrived this morning ... and as I slipped it out of it's bag I thought "Hang on a minute !!!"

The handle looked and felt familiar ... so I put the sections together and measured it ... then I weighed it ... and checked the tapers.

The results ... it's actually 12ft. 8in. in length (not 13ft. 6in. as stated in the listing !!!) ... it weighs in a 19.90oz. (564gr.)

In fact, it's virtually identical in every way, including the tapers (within the latitude to be expected by artisan, hand made rods) to the 12ft. 8in. 'un-named' Precision Rods badged rod I describe in this thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=19952

Even the badges are positioned an identical length from the handle collar ... and Yes Harry H, Sir ... it's hollow built. That can clearly be seen looking into the female ferrule on the butt section.

So ... The reason I'm not disappointed it's not the length stated in the listing ... I now have two more rods which show the transition of the company from the 'Precision Rods' registered trading name to the 'Bernard Sealey & Co.' name in the early 1960's.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: A bad listing ... but NOT a disappointment

Post by RBTraditional »

As long as you're pleased with it Mal, that's all that matters...another fine rod added to what's sounds like a superb collection from this stable👍🏻
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done Mal, it has found its right custodian :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I contacted the vendor and told him about the length discrepancy.

He said that the rod came to him with a written note from the previous owner giving the length ... and he hadn't measured it himself.

I refrained from telling him that I estimate I'd paid maybe 20 to 25% rod what I think the rod is worth.

My Christmas came early !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

A rare example of 'caveat venditor'! Well done Mal.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal, another nice piece of historic tackle where it belongs.

Wal.

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”