Shall I?...

The Precision Rods forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Shall I?...

Post by Dipper »

I picked up this 12ft Tudor Supreme a little while ago, from the below pictures you can see it’s in quite a state with tatty markings and need of a complete fettle, which is fine as I paid but £12.50 for it.

The question is what to do with it? It’s dead straight and cane and ferrules look to be sound so I’m fine with a strip down and re whip with new rings, but at 12ft I’m not sure what I’d use it for, I have a 12ft floatcaster de luxe which I enjoy using for close in deep swims when using a pin but the big supreme is quite the whopper stopper and 12ft seems a tad long for such a rod. When compared to a mk4 it definitely has more poke in the butt and mid sections, I wonder if it would be sacrilege(I don’t wish to upset Mr Ashby) to shorten it by a foot and use as a “stepped up” rod for carp and barbel? I think it would suit the role very well indeed :Wink:

I have another rod on the go at the moment but this will be next in line, any thoughts welcome...

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Shall I?...

Post by Santiago »

I'd pass it on to someone that would appreciate it rather than taking a saw to it. It looks in reasonable nick for a restoration job as is! These rods with good decals on are a rarity and it would be real shame to butcher it when more positive options are available. If the tip was already short then fare enough!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Please do not shorten it which would be a terrible shame. Does a foot shorter really make that much difference when in use? If you prefer to have an 11ft rod then a better option would be to make a spare top and keep the original as is.

If you decided to restore it try and use the same pattern of rings and silk colours - in other words try and refurb as it was originally made which I think adds to the rod - well it does in my opinion.

And yes - please do not upset Mr Ashby Cut.

All the best with the project.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If it is stout enough for barbel and small double figure carp (not 20s) I will give you £13 + P & P to save it from destruction!

Remember all those black modern rods used for big barbel/carp etc are 12ft or 13ft!

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Santiago wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:46 pm I'd pass it on to someone that would appreciate it rather than taking a saw to it. It looks in reasonable nick for a restoration job as is! These rods with good decals on are a rarity and it would be real shame to butcher it when more positive options are available. If the tip was already short then fare enough!
The decal is far from decent I’m afraid, not one for the collectors! I do very much appreciate the rod but feel it would serve me better(and fill a gap in my rods) at 11ft. The resto would be far from butchering it

Regards,

”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:17 pm Please do not shorten it which would be a terrible shame. Does a foot shorter really make that much difference when in use? If you prefer to have an 11ft rod then a better option would be to make a spare top and keep the original as is.

If you decided to restore it try and use the same pattern of rings and silk colours - in other words try and refurb as it was originally made which I think adds to the rod - well it does in my opinion.

And yes - please do not upset Mr Ashby Cut.

All the best with the project.
I’ll be honest PH I’m not a fan of the original colours so that wouldn’t be my choice I’m afraid, a 2nd tip however is an option, although an expense as I don’t have the tools/form etc.

Regards,

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Dipper, Sir ... I'm sure no-one will be surprised when I hope you will follow Santiago's most sensible suggestion !!!

Not sure if you are aware, but as well as the 12ft. version (of which I have one) there is also an 11ft. version of the Supreme (of which I am fortunate enough to own 3 ... one an original unrestored rod, and one beautifully restored by Jason White. There's also a 12ft. 8in. rod which is built alone the same taper lines ... I have two ... one with a Precision Rods badge and one with the Bernard Sealey & Co, badge ... but both 'un-named' ... so perhaps customer orders).

"The Tudor Supreme" really is too good to be 'butchered' ... and as the fates would have it, it is described in the Bernard Sealey & Co. wholesale catalogue which turned up out of the blue recently. Perhaps the description will persuade you to either restore yourself, or allow some other luck chap the opportunity to do so.

As you can see ... it's 'hollow built' ... which may create difficulties in altering the section lengths (I hope !!!!!)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm If it is stout enough for barbel and small double figure carp (not 20s) I will give you £13 + P & P to save it from destruction!

Remember all those black modern rods used for big barbel/carp etc are 12ft or 13ft!
Thanks for your offer, I’ve just checked again and it was £14.50 I paid, listed on the auction site that shall not be named fair and square with no interest from others. Modern rods are generally long for achieving distance with big leads, or feeders plus holding the line up on big rivers. As someone who fishes small to medium rivers and rarely more than a rod length out on lakes that extra foot is not needed

Regards,

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

AshbyCut wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:09 pm Dipper, Sir ... I'm sure no-one will be surprised when I hope you will follow Santiago's most sensible suggestion !!!

Not sure if you are aware, but as well as the 12ft. version (of which I have one) there is also an 11ft. version of the Supreme (of which I am fortunate enough to own 3 ... one an original unrestored rod, and one beautifully restored by Jason White. There's also a 12ft. 8in. rod which is built alone the same taper lines ... I have two ... one with a Precision Rods badge and one with the Bernard Sealey & Co, badge ... but both 'un-named' ... so perhaps customer orders).

"The Tudor Supreme" really is too good to be 'butchered' ... and as the fates would have it, it is described in the Bernard Sealey & Co. wholesale catalogue which turned up out of the blue recently. Perhaps the description will persuade you to either restore yourself, or allow some other luck chap the opportunity to do so.

As you can see ... it's 'hollow built' ... which may create difficulties in altering the section lengths (I hope !!!!!)
Mr Ashby, as you know I have an 11ft Tudor supreme, of which I’m very fond indeed. I understand your love of the maker completely, they are very lovely rods. Thanks for the catalogue scan, very interesting indeed, perhaps it will change my mind, no promises though! The extra “poke” the 12’ has over the 11’ is considerable, I’d be interested to know what do you use yours for? I’ll wait till I’ve finished the current project before committing either way...

Regards,

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I would of course up my offer!

Old rods/vintage rods came in a variety of lengths including roach poles of 20ft+. Modern float rods often exceed 15ft as Spanish reed rods occasionally did in the past.

Perhaps a Hardy Surestrike would help to change your mind?

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”