To-day Bernard Venables would have been 110

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Fred
Grayling

Re: To-day Bernard Venables would have been 110

Post by Fred »

:cheers:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for the reminder.
And how nice to have added another reel to my collection today as was a book and a fly box.
Nice day for it.
I shall read some Mr Crabtree later.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for the reminder - BV has been a very big influence on my life, and maybe many others too.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Fredline wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:44 pm Image
What a fantastic image you have there. Bernard could create magic out of black ink - I shall have to try this year to find something if it could be close to yours I’d be over the moon.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well,
I couldn’t resist it.
I tied this fly tonight ( only started a couple of weeks ago)
Made it up as I went along, still getting to grips with it.
I’m calling it The Bernard Venables, I don’t think he would have minded.
Enjoyed it, now having a read.
Mr B
Ps... I know it’s a on the scruffy side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm
What a fantastic image you have there. Bernard could create magic out of black ink - I shall have to try this year to find something if it could be close to yours I’d be over the moon.

It is a very small picture not including the frame and surround, 6" x 3", and it is authenticated on the back by the great man himself. It appears as a chapter closer on page 200 of the Anglers Companion.

ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I love Bernard's line drawings and you are indeed a lucky Bunny John, I envy you that picture.

Peter, I hope you find a special piece of BV's art. John Farey's Fisherman's Emporium had lots of originals a few years back but, I don't think he's trading now and I guess they will only reappear at auctions. If I spot anything, I'll contact you :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Fredline wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 am
Pallenpool wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:19 pm

It is a very small picture not including the frame and surround, 6" x 3", and it is authenticated on the back by the great man himself. It appears as a chapter closer on page 200 of the Anglers Companion.
Of course it is - interesting in as much that I didn't twig - primarily because your image is so different in detail - in the book it appears heavier and for want of a better description filled in.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:49 am I love Bernard's line drawings and you are indeed a lucky Bunny John, I envy you that picture.

Peter, I hope you find a special piece of BV's art. John Farey's Fisherman's Emporium had lots of originals a few years back but, I don't think he's trading now and I guess they will only reappear at auctions. If I spot anything, I'll contact you :Hat:
Dave, that’s very good of you - if you do chance upon a lead or two please do let me know.

Peter

Heraclitus

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”