Right Hand Wind.

This forum belongs to Bernard Venables MBE.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Right Hand Wind.

Post by Mr B »

Its nice to no Mr Venables wound with his right hand.

I am right handed but have always wound with my right. Cast with my right, then hold the rod in my left hand. Always have done.
I think ( I will have to get my copy of Mr Crabtree out) the drawings in the book show left and right hand wind.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Right Hand Wind.

Post by Marc »

There's a video on YouTube somewhere where he's fishing and winds with his right hand. I think it's titled stret pegging For roach and is in two parts.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

My mate is a lefty, casts and holds the rod in his left reels with the right. I'm a lucky sod... doesn't bother me, either hand for casting holding or reeling, but use mostly right for casting and left for reeling.... I write right handed and eat left handed.....nuts!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 pm I write right handed and eat left handed.....nuts!
So do I, and despite my left eye being the weakest I also shoot left handed, but I can't fish with the rod in my left hand, as you say nuts :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I write with my right hand, use a knife and folk right handed, but have to use a spoon or scissors with my left hand. I can use a screw driver with either hand. Apparently, I also whip floats left handed. But I hold a rod right handed with the left for the reel. Completely nuts!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I'm right handed but when playing cricket I could only bat left handed, I hold and cast a fly rod in my right hand but I am trying to teach myself to cast left handed because it is sometimes useful due to wind direction or if in a boat with a right handed partner. I'm finding it very hard to do so though!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

How interesting!
Also... I hold my dinner knife in my left hand but carve the sunday joint with my right hand!
Cast a fly with my right then hold the rod with my left!
On commercial hook and line Bass boats all the rods are set up for right hand wind. If you wind left handed you will need to sort through a bucket of reels to find one!
Yes, the vidio is Bernard stret pegging for Roach.
Most river fisherman I know wind with the left.
I managed to pick up a couple of nice Michel 300 a few years ago-there RHW.
I think its how you start fishing, perhaps Bernards farther was left handed. My dad was and he set me up fishing the way I do now. My sons are the same but are right handed like me! Interesting.
If we could talk to the man himself he would day.. Dosnt make any difference, just enjoy your fishing.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

This style of having the reel handles on the right for a right-handed angler and switching hands to play a fish was more common 60 years ago so unsurprising that Venables used it but in more modern times the only top angler I know of who still does this is Mark Pollard. For the rest of us it's known as 'cack-handed'. Back in the 60s I started with holding a rod in my left hand, winding with the right despite being right-handed but switched within a couple of years to the more natural method of holding the rod in my right hand.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Ah well, I will have to be 'cack- handed then. Never to late to change, but I'm having fun, so I'll stick with it knowing at least I am in prety good company with a pair of "Cack-handed" fisherman.
Just been looking again at Mr Crabtree,theres some inerrsting vairations in the drawings. I like the one page 77 in my copy. Bottom right hand corner.

Thanks for the coments, all good stuff

Mr B

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Most Americans still fish the way you do, Mr.B and it's extremely hard to find a top-mounting baitcaster reel that isn't right hand wind. I've done it 'your way' baitcasting and soon adapted, but I always felt I might lose my catch as I transferred the rod from right to left hand to retrieve.

At a quick glance there's just one left hand wind reel here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=baitc ... =636#spf=1

Row 8, 2nd. from left.

Return to “Bernard Venables MBE”