Aspindale Roach?

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Aspindale Roach?

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I'm getting towards the end of the interminable intermediate whipping on my Aspindale refurb. I've been able to produce a reasonably similar label for the rod but I've got a niggling doubt about the model name that I'd like to clear up before applying it.

The rod was sold to me as an Aspindale "Roach" rod but there was no label so I'm not sure now whether the seller meant it was a rod for Roach fishing or that was it's model name. It seems a little odd given the names of all the other Aspindale models. Some years later I picked up another one in a boot sale in France but it had been stripped of its label and someone had hand-written Aspindales on the butt.

The rod is 11'6" long, three-piece, butt and middle whole cane unspliced, tip section splint cane, cork handle 18". Looks a bit like a Wizard lookalike :Confused:

Does anyone know the correct name for this rod ??

All help appreciated gentlemen :Hat:

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Aspindale Roach?

Post by Greentura »

Sounds like a Colindale

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The only 11 1/2 ft. whole cane/whole cane/split cane Aspindale's rod I've heard of is "The Severn Special," a restored example of which TFF member TraditionalAngling has for sale on ebay at the moment. Maybe you could compare measurements with him to see if it's similar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-RESTORED ... 1c4f434a97

There are rods with that conformation called "Avon," but at 11ft. and 12ft. I think ... and the 'Colindale' at 11ft. and 12ft. ... though being Aspindale's (or even the later Aspindale's 'Dalesman' rods) there could be more.

Sorry I can't be more help, Sir.
Last edited by AshbyCut on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have one similar - called Avon 2!
I also have the predecessor Avon - whole cane butt - whole cane top with 40in split cane spliced in. 2 joints at 67in each = 11ft.

The Roach was 2 piece only - but someone on here actually has one! So they may be able to give a better answer.

I will look up the Avon 2 length shortly.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I have just received a Colindale, which is why I said it sounded like it, the length is right handle length too the construction of whole cane butt and mid sections and built cane tip is right and the writing on mine is all hand written original indian ink which reads as follows. 'Dalesman', Registered ,The Colindale, By, Jas Aspindale & son, Redditch, Eng. Definitely a roach rod and not upto the standards of my other Aspindale rods, but will be nice once restored

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks Greentura, Sir ... that's another to add to the list. I was only aware of the 11ft. and 12ft. versions !

Can anyone save my sanity ... and that of others, I'm sure ... and come up with a catalogue or two ????? :hairpull:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The build of the Colindale is far cruder than that of the Aero range and a fe others i've had through my hands but still useable. I think an Aspindale family tree might be more use than a catalogue, Aspindale, Dalesman Aspindale and son, Aspindale and sons, Jos Aspindale , Jos Aspindale and son. Who are all these people and how are they all related, did they work for other Redditch companies, Back in the 50's and 60's you probably couldn't walk down Redditch way without bumping into an Aspindale or two, I think their grandad must have had a bike :Wink:

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

It looks to be the spitting image of the Severn Special. The whips by the handle are exactly right, length is correct, two parts whole, one part split cane. But why would they call what's essentially a delicate roach rod a "Severn Special" ? Doesn't seem appropriate somehow. It could be a Colindale I suppose but I don't think it has ever had a Dalesman signature.

Gut feel supports AC's hunch so I think I'll go for Severn Special on the transfer.

Thank you gentlemen. :Hat:

Troutbeck
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Aspindale seem to name & rename the same rod on occasions as well as altering the make up of the rod without changing the name! Very confusing especially as they appear to have sold blanks/rods to others!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There were, effectively FOUR Aspindale firms one after the other !

A picture would help enormously Swythyn.....handle furniture and handwriting particularly..though in this case you don't have the latter.

There is actually a font out there as freeware that looks pretty close ( bar the unique capital 'A' ) that Peter Aspindale and his father, James used....believe it or not it's called Aerolite :shocked:

http://www.dafont.com/aerolitecp.font

It may just be that the Dafont people saw a rod....otherwise it's a huge coincidence!!

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”