The Gemdale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Mitch300
Roach

The Gemdale

Post by Mitch300 »

I finally collected from a relative in London an Aspindale's `The Gemdale' 3-piece ten and a half foot split cane rod. It seems to have been reconditioned very nicely with jasper twist, and a dark reddish brown for the intermediates (was it anyone on this forum?). It has a nice waggle to it and should fish very well with my Rapidex or Match Aerial. Does anyone else have a Gemdale, or an estimate of its date of manufacture? I am guessing there is no River Gem, and that it was possibly a one-off for someone. Any information on this rod would be appreciated greatly. It's my first piece of cane!

G. B.
Gem01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Gemdale

Post by Nobby »

It's one of the late rods, made by the late Peter Aspindale, as it has the black and gold badge. I had thought this a sticker, but yours does look like a transfer. Tony Croft and Peter parted ways about 1971 so I suppose it must be made after that date. Until then Peter had been an office-wallah and hadn't actually made any rods as far as I am aware, but his father had made superb rods prior to Peter being very badly injured in an accident, having learnt his craft at Milwards pre-WW2.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A fine piece of cane Sir, welcome to the club :Hat:

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,I did have one from an eBay seller a year or two ago but it was very sloppy and badly restored so I sent it back

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Here's mine an eBay success very pleased with it.

Super little grayling rod :tea: Image

Happily joined The Aspindale club :Hat:
niceroach

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well done - some lovely rods - and a few duff'uns - though not the fault of the makers! I have a Swiftdale which I use for similar purposes.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Olly

Thanks - Looks like all original? - or if it's been restored
at some stage, its a tidy job.

Either way well pleased no other bidders on eBay, so I was lucky with the price.
niceroach

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Looking at the inters they are the same as my Swiftdale's. Judging from the rings it is original. The Swiftdale is 6 in longer at eleven feet!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Olly wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm Looking at the inters they are the same as my Swiftdale's. Judging from the rings it is original. The Swiftdale is 6 in longer at eleven feet!
Thanks Olly - thats what I thought, the whippings are so subtle reckon it to be original.
niceroach

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Thanks for posting that, NiceRoach, and welcome to the club.

Now we know there are at least two Gemdale's in existence, and that mine wasn't a one-off. Any idea if the `Gem' refers to anything in particular? Mine has the same jasper whippings on the rings, but a reddish brown for the intermediates in exactly the same patterns. I think it must have been restored, and based on the similarity between yours and mine, I'm wondering if it was the same restorer. This rod is ideal for light float fishing and ledgering. With that fine tip section, it doesn't take much to put a nice bend in it.

Enjoy your new rod!

G. B.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”