An Aspindale Aero 890 conundrum

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

An Aspindale Aero 890 conundrum

Post by Bob Brookes »

Some weeks ago I bought the 890 from Paul F's estate sale. It was original and was stripped down ready for finishing, which Wal duly did for me to his very high standard. I was absolutely delighted with the rod which, incidentally, I intend to use for crucians in the next week or so.

When the opportunity came to buy another 890, from a guy who had it from a fishing mate, who had bought it when he was demobbed in 1948, the chance to get another very original one was too tempting. I bought it knowing that there was about 5" missing from the tip, but the price I paid reflected that. When I collected it on Wednesday I was pleased because it had never been touched apart from layers of poorly applied varnish, which had protected it from water ingress and the deadly glue failure that often happens with these rods. I was/am pleased with my new acquisition.

When I got home I assembled both rods and put them alongside one another and was surprised with what I saw. The latest rod was only marginally shorter (Less than 1") than the restored one, despite having a tip that was clearly 5" shortened. This was made up by the butt and middle sections each being approximately 2" longer. When I get a correct tip fitted the latest rod will be about 11' long as opposed to the other, a standard 10' 6".

Both rods are clearly marked 890 so the conundrum is, did they make the 890 in 2 lengths or, has it been incorrectly marked and should have been an 891, or some other model. Come in Nobby, or any other Aspindale aficionado out there. :Beg:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: An Aspindale Aero 890 conundrum

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Could it have been a special build for a customer or maybe the prototype 11 ft version of the 890 which went into production and became the 891? Don't you just love a mystery? :holmes:
Edit: Just discovered the 891 had a whole cane butt section, although it's possible that there could be a split cane butt version? :Confused:
Edit2: I have now seen a photo an 891 all split cane version which was offered for sale at an auction.
We need an expert!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I will say Aspindales were a bit erratic with names etc!

I have a Monarch and a Threadline -- anyone heard of either??

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Olly wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:33 am I will say Aspindales were a bit erratic with names etc!

I have a Monarch and a Threadline -- anyone heard of either??
I think I read that Mal had a threadline somewhere on tff.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yes - I now have it. Excellent carp rod.

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

Bob,

I was lucky last week to purchase a restored Aero 890 and I think I may have another one in my collection (I don't mean that to sound as if I'm bragging, I just haven't made a proper list) I am away from home at the moment and will have a measure when I get home tomorrow.

Regards,
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Bob, is the rod definitely Aero 891.
I only ask because I have just remembered this Aero 89. I restored a couple of years ago.
Here's a link to the original post I did about it www.traditionalfisherman.com/viewtopic. ... 59#p286059

It was 11ft long and all three pieces were the same 44 inch length. Some pics below of the rod after it was restored. Take no notice of the thread colour, it was originally done in wine or burgundy. The Aero 89. script looked original.

Wal.
ImageImageImage

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: Very interesting indeed Wal. It certainly is clearly marked 890 (See photo'). The length of butt and the middle section are both 45.5", including the rubber button on the butt.

I think that the choice of silks you have chosen for the refurb looks fantastic. I just feel that I prefer to get as original as possible to how it was when it left the factory. I wonder what the general consensus is about that? :secret:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

To be honest Bob, I think colour change is getting more and more unacceptable these days, especially on rods by the more collectable makers. Keep it as original as possible seems to be the consensus.

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm To be honest Bob, I think colour change is getting more and more unacceptable these days, especially on rods by the more collectable makers. Keep it as original as possible seems to be the consensus.

Wal.
Point taken Wal, I will make that decision later. With regard to the length, I reckon the rod could end up Wizard like at 11’3”.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”