ASPINDALE SWALEDALE

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

ASPINDALE SWALEDALE

Post by John Harding »

Good afternoon all,

On Wednesday I visited John Mullock's auction and I was fortunate to be able to add some more Aspindale rods to my collection, perhaps they were entered by one of our fellow members, if so thank you.

One of the rods I find quite interesting, it is a rod called The Swaledale. The script on the rod, which is in that distinctive style that you see on all of their rods reads :-

" Dalesman Series "
" The Swaledale "
12 ' Hollow Built Cane kit by
Dawsons
Norman Barry
4. 6. 67

The rod :-

The Script :-

Now the question I ask myself is, was it a Dawsons rod kit bought in by Aspindales and then made up into a rod, or was it the other way around, i.e. an Aspindale's kit made up by Dawsons and assembled by Norman Barry ?

The name Norman Barry is my interpretation of the name at the bottom of the script as it is a bit difficult to make out, I think it is correct though. It would be interesting to know who Norman Barry was (or is), perhaps he is a well known rod builder.

The rod was described as requiring restoration but I would be happy to use it as it is, there are one or two patches of varnish that require touching up and maybe the ferules would look better if they were blued again, in any case I intend to give it a try as soon as I can.

Hope it is of interest.

Regards,
John.

Cat
Chub

Re: ASPINDALE SWALEDALE

Post by Cat »

Looks lovely.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: ASPINDALE SWALEDALE

Post by Olly »

I wonder if it is a custom made "Severndale" - 12ft - hollow built cane - etc - ??? For a Yorkshire man?

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”