8ft ASPINDALE PIKE ROD

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

8ft ASPINDALE PIKE ROD

Post by Bob Brookes »

Last month I was fortunate enough to purchase this rod from a lady at Studley, Redditch, for a song. I bought it sight unseen and collected it when I visited the May tackle fair. To say that I was pleased is a gross understatement. From the single, out of focus photo, I actually thought it may have been a glass fibre rod, but it wasn't. It has a whole cane butt section and a built cane top and was in untouched condition. It had been well protected by copious amounts of varnish.

By good fortune Wal (Dr Cane) and Lorraine were our house guests that weekend and so Wal took it back with him for refurbishment. The cane was found to be in good order, as were the tip and butt rings. Even the ferrule stopper was original. The intermediates were replaced as were the reel fittings, which were showing some corrosion. The writing says Aspindales, Redditch, England, so it is likely to be a very early rod according to experts who have given me their opinions.

It is a powerful rod but does have some action and I guess that it was made as a pike rod. It will make be a good stalking rod for carp or even for barbel in 'hit and hold' swims. One way or another it will get used.

Does anyone know of another?
ImageImageImageImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: 8ft ASPINDALE PIKE ROD

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wow...utterly gorgeous! My compliments Wal, another superb restoration :Hat:
Congratulations on its acquisition Bob, a rare rod has been preserved and our angling heritage has benefited from its discovery and preservation :clap:
It would be interesting to discover if it is as rare as I think it may be?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:16 pm Wow...utterly gorgeous! My compliments Wal, another superb restoration :Hat:
Congratulations on its acquisition Bob, a rare rod has been preserved and our angling heritage has benefited from its discovery and preservation :clap:
It would be interesting to discover if it is as rare as I think it may be?
One thing that is rare about this acquisition was the asking price of £5. I didn't try to get a discount. :Scared:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A lovely rod. Either a pike or even a salmon spinner. No name on it?

Wal will correct me but I think the whole cane butt gives it a tippy but more powerful action than built cane all through?
Last edited by Olly on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Olly wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:46 pm A lovely rod. Either a pike or even a salmon spinner. No name on it?

Wal will correct me but I think the whole cane butt gives it a tippy but more powerful action than built cane ll through?
You are absolutely correct Olly, a very powerful rod and I would think designed for deadbaiting for Pike from a punt or boat. It would even double up as a light pier rod.
Someone asked about a cane rod for big Catfish and I think this one would cope no problem.

Wal.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Oooooh! That is a nice-looking rod. Nobby can probably narrow down its build date from the handwriting just above the handle.

G. B.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It was a good pike rod too! So far I have only used it the once, the best I caught was this one of 22.14. It performed impeccably, despite the pike being hell bent on tangling me around the mud weight rope. It will definitely be my 'go to' pike rod when fishing from a boat.ImageImage

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Stonkingly good fish - what a beaut.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done Bob, that's a great pike on a great rod. I like the boat as well.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Handsome and the pike ain't that shabby either :Wink:

Well done Bob :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”