896 Avon dating and bag

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

896 Avon dating and bag

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have just acquired a very original 10' 6" version, albeit with a shortened tip section. Everything seems correct, the fine wire bronzed rings and even the bag with an early label. The label is good but sadly the bag is beyond recovery, so I shall be looking for a period one to add the label to.

I presume that it was made in the 1946 to '49 period. However I always thought they came in an 'Aspindale Bros' bag. Where do you reckon this one fits in the timescale?

Anyone got an early anonymous 3 piece bag for a 10' 6" rod they could bear to part with?

Thanking you in anticipation, Bob :Hat:

ImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: 896 Avon dating and bag

Post by Olly »

How is the rod made up?

I have an original Aspindale Avon and an Avon 2. Both similar but very different.
Both whole cane - both with split cane tops.
Written on the rod The "Avon" - No: 902 - Aspindale's Manor Works, Redditch.
Written on the rod The "Avon" - Mk. 2. 12' - Aspindale's Manor Works, Redditch
The Avon 902 is 2 joint - whole cane butt - whole cane top joint with 39" spliced split cane - total 11'
The Avon Mk2 is 3 joint - whole cane butt - whole cane middle joint - split cane tip - total 12'. The rod bag states "Aspindale Bros REDDITCH ENGLAND

The Aspindale rod bag for my Aero Wizard no: 907 shows "A Dalesman Rod by James Aspindale & Son MAKERS REDDITCH ENGLAND". On the rod it states
"Aspindales Astwood Bank Redditch"

I have noticed that Tom Watson rods - made by Aspindales - like the Midge - Gnat - Hornet & Wasp rods - are very similar to the Aspindale range.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: Olly, whole cane butt and middle with a split cane top.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just like the Avon Mk2 only the length of the Avon.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I used to own a 12ft Aspindales rod of the same spec as the Avon MK2. It had no model number or name and I always thought it was one off.
It was one of the nicest 12ft cane rods I have ever used.

ImageImage

Not a very good photo but the bag label looks the same as Bobs.
Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I would say it must be 1946 to '49 as from that year the brothers parted ways and Jim Aspindale and son Peter started Aspindale and Son using the Dalesman brand name.

The only other possibility is that this is a rod by William Aspindale who apparently called himself Aero rods. He was the office side of the new business and the rods were seemingly made by Ken Johnson. It was short lived. Ken later turned ferrules for Jimmy Aspindale turning ferrules until Tony Croft arrived and did them in-house in 1954.

I have never seen a rod named Aero rods so perhaps the rods simply used the Aero name and a model number just like his brother's?

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Nobby wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm I would say it must be 1946 to '49 as from that year the brothers parted ways and Jim Aspindale and son Peter started Aspindale and Son using the Dalesman brand name.

The only other possibility is that this is a rod by William Aspindale who apparently called himself Aero rods. He was the office side of the new business and the rods were seemingly made by Ken Johnson. It was short lived. Ken later turned ferrules for Jimmy Aspindale turning ferrules until Tony Croft arrived and did them in-house in 1954.

I have never seen a rod named Aero rods so perhaps the rods simply used the Aero name and a model number just like his brother's?
Thank you Nobby, much appreciated. It is indeed a lovely rod and I am delighted with it. It is very original, apart from the tip being 2” short. I have a decision whether to have another made, find an old replacement or leave it as it is.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon fellow friends,I’ve always had an interest in Aspindale rods as my first good rod was a Swiftdale at 11ft,I sometimes wonder which was their lightest rod for float fishing ,for smaller fish,some one must know..thank you.Terence,(Reelmaker).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

"Gemdale" at 10 oz according to part of a catalogue I have. "Ledgerdale" slightly lighter.

I also have an Aero Wizard.

Met a friend of Tony Croft last week - he is 87 now!

Still very strange to me that some early ones can be numbered? And that later ones are numbered, but two I have pre-Dalesman have no number! The history of the Company seems never consistent!

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening,I won a bid on eBay about 10yrs ago for a Gemdale but it was refurbished and a awful mess so I sent it back,it did seem very whippy like a fly rod ,is that normal?I always wondered Reelmaker

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”