Aspindale Dalesman "The Kimdale"

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Aspindale Dalesman "The Kimdale"

Post by AshbyCut »

The best laid plans ... etc ... etc ... !!!

A nice stout tube arrived at my door on December 17th., and I couldn't wait to open it. I withdrew the bag, and thought "Hang on ... that's an Edgar Sealey bag !" Out slipped a 10ft., 2 piece, fibre glass Edgar Sealey "The Sea Trout fly rod !!! There was also an invoice for a lady in Inverness !!! Expletives flowed. I looked at the rod tube ... and there, poking out from under the couriers stuck on address label was a clearly addressed label directing the delivery to Inverness. An email to the seller was followed by swift action on their part ... and an email explaining that the courier driver had collected two rods ... and stuck their labels on the wrong tubes.

Long story short ... it took the couriers until today to get my rod to me. Sadly, and no fault of the seller ... two of the intermediate guides had damaged whippings ... and the tip guide had been badly bent (but I've sorted that already). I can only guess that it had been opened and quickly pushed back into the tube ... but by who and where who knows.

However ... it settled any thoughts about a "good clean and polish" ... and I shall now do a full refurbish.

To answer some questions ...
Liphook wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:11 am Certainly looks an original beauty AC! Will the butt be cork over alloy tube?
You are correct, Sir ... that's exactly what it is.
Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:32 am A very nice rod Mal. I restored one once and was convinced it was called the Kirndale.
Wal.
I've had my magnifying glass on it ... and it's "Kimdale" ! I can see no break at all between what would be an 'r' and an 'n' ... but what appears to be an 'm.'

Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 am I did see this rod advertised, but as the description included a 'set' in one section I think it put a lot of potential buyers off! Quite a rare rod though, so worth putting some work into it! :Hat:
Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 am I did see this rod advertised, but as the description included a 'set' in one section I think it put a lot of potential buyers off! Quite a rare rod though, so worth putting some work into it! :Hat:
The Set' turns out to be nothing more than a bit of a 'droop' which vanished when the tip is turned through 180 degrees, so I will 'turn it' when I refurbish it. The positive thing is ... there are no signs of the 'delamination worm' !!! A gentle application of the heat gun will, no doubt, result in a die straight rod.

It has been over-varnished at some point ... and there is a little crazing ... so 'starting from scratch' will be best all round ... though ... I'm NOT looking forward to the 76 inter whippings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: ((Could be worse ... it could be an early B. James.))

I'll keep you informed of progress.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rutland Rod wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:18 am Mal, it looks similar to a James Kennet Perfection is it ?
Dave
Dave, Sir ... It's a similar configuration ... but a much finer 'match' style construction and taper ... very light in the hand and quick in action.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

All's well that ends well! The Kimdale is definitely not a common find, I hope that the refurb goes well! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Lovely rod my dear friend as you know I have one it was restored by Steve Boncy who I have known for years.
As you say very light in the hand lovely Crucian rod close to the pads. Given your record of latching on to big Carp I would humbly suggest you don't take it to Stockton
Bumble

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Work has commenced. All the guides and whippings have been removed ... including the copper whippings on the ferrules, and the butt and tip guides ... in readiness for stripping the varnish.

Isn't the interweb a wonderful thing !!! Ordered at 14.54 yesterday on a 'standard delivery option, this arrived on my doorstep at 10.30 this morning !!!

And ... I was fortunate enough to have these in my "box of bits" !!!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Both sections stripped of the old varnish ... and the first guide is being rewhipped.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Coming along at a determined but leisurely pace. The copper wire whippings on the ferrules were easier than I thought. Only another 25 inters to whip onto the butt section ... before facing the 46 on the tip !!! ((At least I can tell myself I'm saving someone else's eyes !!!))

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Looking good :Thumb: Can't wait to see how the Danville's turns out after varnish :Sun:

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Looks to be coming along in your usual high standard Mr Ashby, I must get round to making a jig for such work, I’d imagine it lessens the amount of sweat and swearing involved compared to having the rod across your lap on the setee :Wink:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Butt section all rewhipped ... ready for the first of 3 coats of "Rustin's Yacht Varnish - Gloss Wood Finish" ... thinned 3 to one with "West Artists White Spirit."

I hope this retains the honey colour of the cane ... whilst toning down a little the 'brash' yellow/black twist !

Last edited by AshbyCut on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”