Davenport & Fordham Farstrike MK IV Carp

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
Gurn
Chub

Davenport & Fordham Farstrike MK IV Carp

Post by Gurn »

I have now finally taken receipt of this rod after many delivery attempts at an address that wasn't mine. I don't really know much about them ie. How many were made? When were they made?..but it appeared at what I considered a bargain price, so I bought it!
The cane does seem to be steelier throughout than my B.James and I can well believe what I have read, that the blanks are from Chapmans.
It is interesting to note that the butt section has just the lined butt ring alone.

All in all, this appears to be a cracking rod, that I look forward to using in the summer/autumn.

The rod will just need a bit of a tidy up to be ready to fish.
After a bit of wheeling and dealing this week I have even managed to find an original bag in excellent condition.

If anyone has any more information on this particular rod I would be happy to hear your views.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Davenport & Fordham Farstrike MK IV Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd not heard the Chapman cane reference before Gurn, but several people in the trade have told me that they thought Tony Fordham the best rod builder in the whole country!

This might still be current:

Fordham and Wakefield
Kinvale
Third Street
Langton Green
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
England
TN3 OEN
01892 863153

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

The Chapmans reference was from this forum Nobby. I believe it was member Pentonhook who had it from the horses mouth. The cane does seem quite excellent, though this rod seems to be one of the more uncommon MK IV variants.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I have one, bought from Woodytia some time back. Lovely rod with a good though action. I love it for my surface crust fishing
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Leigh wrote:This was my first cane rod & was fully restored by Paul Cook a few years ago - Regreatbly no longer with me. A lovely rod that I would one day love to own again.
I would imagine that one of these with the Paul Cook treatment would indeed be greatly missed.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

MGs wrote:I have one, bought from Woodytia some time back. Lovely rod with a good though action. I love it for my surface crust fishing
It may well end up in my armoury for just that purpose sir. Does yours have a rubber butt end? I would love to see a few pics for comparison if possible.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Gurn

Here you go. I'm no photographer. Yes it has a rubber button (red). Prior to my ownership it had some work done by Steve Boncey which looks like the tip and but rings. The whipping, if not the eyes as well seem to be replacements. I have since re-whipped the other eyes on the tip, leaving all of the intermediates. Unlike a MK IV it has a single ring on the butt section.

The stopper is one of St John's via Jim at VFC

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Interesting. Just noticed that your reel bands are also a sort of gold colour. I had assumed that these on mine were replacements, but must be original

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Many thanks for this MG's :Hat: . It looks to be identical to mine apart from the end cap. Mine has a plain black cap similar to those seen on late Chapmans 500's. I would say that the butt ring on yours is probably original, looks identical to mine, and the spacings look the same as well. I also would concur that the reel bands are original. 'Bout time St. John started making those stoppers again. I have them on a few of my rods. He is a clever chap.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Gurn wrote: 'Bout time St. John started making those stoppers again. I have them on a few of my rods. He is a clever chap.
Agreed. I have some on my Lucky Strike as well.

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”