Davenport & Fordham Farstrike MK IV Carp

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
DrJohn
Gudgeon

Re: Davenport & Fordham Farstrike MK IV Carp

Post by DrJohn »

Nobby wrote:I'd not heard the Chapman cane reference before Gurn, but several people in the trade have told me that they thought Tony Fordham the best rod builder in the whole country!
Not that I want to be responsible for creating too much interest in D & F(!), and Tony Fordham's involvement with Marco (especially the signature coarse rods and Hornet fly rods). But it would be fair to say that the rods are very underrated by collectors and traditional fishermen alike, and I for one, regard Tony as one of the best, if not the best, rod designer.

I have quite a few D & F rods including - Trotting, Avon, Gerry Savage Carp and Clive Gammon bass - I see no reason to fish with
anything else - I'm slightly embarrassed to admit they all look quite new still!

The cane rod however has the wrong bag...the cane rods were built in Ware, before the move to Poole, Davenport and Fordham were relatively short-lived in Poole - the company then disappeared and TF moved to Marco (not sure what David Davenport did).

I don't think Fordham and Wakefield are at the Langton Green address.

John.

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”