MK 1V Avon

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: MK 1V Avon

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thanks Gents, my face must of been a picture when the seller told me that they nearly threw it straight in the skip!

Harry, there's me think it's rare and you're turning them down :Wink:
Based on the label and the rings I'm guessing it's a very late rod and so built to a budget. The cane though looks lovely.

Wal, you numbers are........
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

LuckyLuca wrote:Thanks Gents, my face must of been a picture when the seller told me that they nearly threw it straight in the skip!

Based on the label and the rings I'm guessing it's a very late rod and so built to a budget. The cane though looks lovely.

I've been trying to only buy what I really need unless it's an absolute bargain of course :eyebrow: still it impressed the hell out of Mrs H that I'd managed to look and not buy
:Chuckle:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Harry H wrote:
LuckyLuca wrote:Thanks Gents, my face must of been a picture when the seller told me that they nearly threw it straight in the skip!

I've been trying to only buy what I really need unless it's an absolute bargain of course :eyebrow: still it impressed the hell out of Mrs H that I'd managed to look and not buy
:Chuckle:
Only buying what you need!

I can't see that catching on :whistle:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A great find, if the rest of the logo says Ware, it was made about three miles from me!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I was under the impression that 'need' and 'want' were freely interchangeable being one and the same.

:Confused:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pentonhook
Dace

Post by Pentonhook »

Most of Davenport & Fordham rods that were offered didn't come with agate butt and tip rings,
and were quite sparse in the ring department.
Tony Fordham assured me that all their cane came from Chapman's, so without doubt very
good cane.
LL, to say that you have an extremely LUCKY streak is an understatement, only wished I
had had the same opportunity to acquire such a rod. Hope it brings many happy outings.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great find LL :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Pentonhook wrote:Most of Davenport & Fordham rods that were offered didn't come with agate butt and tip rings,
and were quite sparse in the ring department.
Tony Fordham assured me that all their cane came from Chapman's, so without doubt very
good cane.
LL, to say that you have an extremely LUCKY streak is an understatement, only wished I
had had the same opportunity to acquire such a rod. Hope it brings many happy outings.
Interesting conformation of the Chapman connection, something I've seen suggested but not confirmed in the past.

Having had a closer look at the rod in decent light I suspect, but cant really prove that it was supplied with intemediates and varnish but that the rings were added by D&F.
This Is a bit of an assumption but the whipping colour looks slightly different and the ring whippings are the only area which are showing signs of age. Also the D&F decals are stuck on top of the varnish.
The reason I think its original rather than refurbishment is that having studied the handle and fittings I doubt that this rod has ever actually been fished with as they show no signs of use that I can see.
Lots of ifs and buts I know. Wiser heads will hopefully share their opinions :Beg:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Chapman's might have supplied some cane when they were in Ware, but others have written of them milling cane when they moved to Dorset.

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”