Davenport and Fordham of Thames Street, Poole in Dorset.

The Davenport & Fordham Rods forum.
DrJohn
Gudgeon

Re: Davenport and Fordham of Thames Street, Poole in Dorset.

Post by DrJohn »

OldFellah wrote:
DrJohn wrote:Branded"Farstrike".

I am lucky to have (from new) a Davenport and Fordham, Clive Gammon Bass rod (beachcaster), in green with green and black (tipped) whippings, I usually team this rod with the (red) Ambassadeur 6000 I bought at the same time at Gerry's of Wimbledon around 1974 - the pair where around £50; does that sound correct?

I have another D&P sea rod, but shorter and lighter than the Clive Gammon but it's unamed, but similiar in style and build to that rod.

Does anyone else have one of these fine rods?

John.
Funnily enough I also had the Clive Gammon bass rod couple with the Ambassadeur reel (5000 in my case) also bought from Gerry's at about the same time as you purchased yours. I used it for many years for bass and even found it a great rod/reel combo for pike. A really superb rod. I also had a D & F fly rod, my first, and found it to be the worst casting rod I have ever owned. I tried it with lines either side of the recommended but still could not put out a decent line with it ! During the same period I had the Farstrike 6 oz beachcaster which I used to great effect on the cod from the Dungeness area and was my favorite rod of its type for many years.
That's an interesting coincidence - same rod similiar reel.

I had a chat with Tony Fordham last Friday, and whilst he was a little vague in his recollection (I guess he's quite old now), he thought the Farstrike brand name came to an end around 1974/75.

And a strong impression he did not approve of"nostalgia"!

John.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Pentonhook wrote:Give Tony Fordham a ring on 01892 770344, most helpful if you catch him
on a friday afternoon.

He told me that the blanks used for the mk1v's were supplied by Chapman's.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think Davenport & Fordham used agate/agatine
lined butt or tip ring's. Tony would know for sure.
I have spoken with Tony recently, and whilst he was helpful, I think his memory is not all it could be as he was a little vague about the Farstrike brand - recalling it disappeared with the failed company (D&F) around 1974.

He seemed quite impressed that I had three Farstrike rods though.

His current company is Fordham and Wakefield based out of Hartfield.

John.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Interesting stuff. My Farstrike MKIV is obviously older than I thought. It will be getting a trip out later today. It is always nice to learn a bit more about the rods I own. Thanks
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

MGs wrote:Interesting stuff. My Farstrike MKIV is obviously older than I thought. It will be getting a trip out later today. It is always nice to learn a bit more about the rods I own. Thanks
Yes, quite old now. My conversation with Tony (despite the passage of time) was quite clear about D & Fs demise, he then moved on to Modern Arms (Marco) and they marketed a range of coarse and game rods with Tony Fordham becoming a sub brand of Marco.

Given Tony's status as a rod designer, I feel rods from the companies he has been associated with will become more"collectable". I have just purchased in fine, near NoS condition, a Davenport and Fordham Farstrike Avon rod (10ft) built with a lovely translucent red blank and equally lovely red whippings tipped in yellow.

Capitivated by the Farstrike brand name from an early age - sad I know!

John.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

I seem to have become a Farstrike collector!

My latest acquisition is a Farstrike Match rod, 13', unusually a four piece rod with glass to glass ferrules, attractive red whippings with red tips, full length cork handle, and complete with original bag.

The fibreglass blank is very attractive, a browny, butterscotch colour with a finish that gives it an organic faux-cane appearance.

Better go fishing!

John.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

I have a 10 foot Avon rod that I made up from a green Farstrike fibreglass blank around 1970. It has always been one of my favourite rods, probably because it is so versatile. Very light in the hand, responsive and sensitive when touch-legering, capable of casting a one ounce lead 50 yards, yet soft enough to use with light tackle without snapping off. A great rod.

Alan

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Ryeman wrote:I have a 10 foot Avon rod that I made up from a green Farstrike fibreglass blank around 1970. It has always been one of my favourite rods, probably because it is so versatile. Very light in the hand, responsive and sensitive when touch-legering, capable of casting a one ounce lead 50 yards, yet soft enough to use with light tackle without snapping off. A great rod.

Alan
Agreed,

if we were only ever allowed one rod, I think it would have to be a traditional Avon - an excellent allrounder in a world where allrounder seems a term of derision.

I am a member of the TAAS, the Traditional Avon Appreciation Society!

John.

Mark_Jenkins
Stickleback

Post by Mark_Jenkins »

I have acquired a davenport and Fordham Peter Stone Specimen S/U farstrike. Any info on it would be great.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Mark_Jenkins wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:59 pm I have acquired a davenport and Fordham Peter Stone Specimen S/U farstrike. Any info on it would be great.
Are you able to put up some photos?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I have owned a D&F a Clive Gammon Bass rod, Super Surflite, Gerry Savage Carp rod and a Peter Stone Specimen rod. That later is the only one I still own.

I do have a D&F 1970 catalogue and price list -

Return to “Davenport & Fordham Cane Rods”