Constable twin top

The Constable Of Bromley Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Constable twin top

Post by Reedling »

I have a 3 piece split cane rod called the Constable Twin top it is 10 foot 6 inches long and looks virtualy identical to my Lucky Strike and is whipped in green. The logo is Constable of Bromley and twin top is written on the rod in black ink. Unfortunately it has only the single top, does anyone know about this rod and could tell me what the other top would have been please. Reedling :Hat:

Here are a couple of pictures i have just taken..

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Constable twin top

Post by Nobby »

I can't help withthe rod , but looking at it's quite narrow butt I'd guess it has quite a through action so perhaps it had a light top and a heavier top for bigger fish or ledgering?

Cliff Constable a was seriously good rod-maker.

Unfortunately all that dust did for his lungs and he retired to the South Coast for his health. His old rod making stock went to a few hobbyists and his planing jigs were bought by Edward Barder.

That pretty much tells you everything you need to know.......

Page 6 'Words from Alistair Agutter'

http://www.norman-agutters.com/archives6.htm

"Clifford Constable was the closest in his time to our American Cousins for Rods"
Last edited by Nobby on Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby wrote: Cliff Constable was seriously good rod-maker.
I know, it's not cane - just glass :Wink: but
I have an absolutely great 13' Companion made by Constable Bromley
superlight and perfect action

anyone an idea when it was built?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thankyou Nobby, it does look and feel well made, I shall give it a bash in the near future and put a small review of its action etc on this thread. All the best, Reedling :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Constable did really good cane rods very underestimated in my opinion if it's good and straight will be more like an Eclipse than a Lucky strike nice find
Bumble

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Now that Gaz very much likes!

Come on Lotto.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I decided to visit my local commercial again as I was itching to try my Constable rod which has been sitting in the spare room gathering dust, and being such a nice rod it deserved a long overdue outing. I fished the lakes as I normally do, with a bodied waggler with good old bread on the bottom. I had a really good day again with plenty of Bream and Carp falling to the bread and this little rod was a real joy to use, although on some of the bigger fish it got a bit hairy. I do give my rods a bit of a hammering but do you know something I always feel confident in the abilities of the cane...which is a nice feeling. Here are a couple of pictures, one of the rod showing its action and one of a Carp I caught with this rod...

Whopper
Minnow

Post by Whopper »

I had also a Constable's Twin Top once and I totally agree with Bumble: it comes nearer to an Eclipse than a Lucky Strike.
But if you never had the chance to hold an Eclipse in your hands, I can understand that someone would compare it with a Lucky Strike!
Catch your dreams...

Return to “Constable Of Bromley Cane Rods”