My Priory Rod

The Priory Rods of Bournemouth Rods forum.
GrahamV
Ruffe

My Priory Rod

Post by GrahamV »

Hello

I've had this rod since I given it when I was about 16. All it has is the Priory Of Bournemouth logo transfer but sadly no model name or number? It's 10.6ft three piece, all built cane with a really attractive alternating blonde and flamed bamboo construction I haven't properly tested it but I think it's about a one pound test curve? It's a lovely rod and really nice to use.

All these pictures were taken last week when me and partner and step daughter borrowed my parents narrow boat on the Shropshire Union Canal. I don't do much cause fishing these days so the roach was the best I've caught in years!! Any info on the rod would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Graham

MGs
Pike

Re: My Priory Rod

Post by MGs »

Very nice. That alternating cane is striking.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Can't help with the rod Graham, what do I know? What I will say is it looks lovely, that alternating cane colour is a bit special... :Hat:

GrahamV
Ruffe

Post by GrahamV »

Cheers guys it was its unusualness that made me hold onto it all these years, I don't think I've seen another like it I must admit a few years back I sold a lot of my cane rods in a phase to temporary madness but I couldn't let this one go!! :D

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Definitely one to treasure Graham!
A most unusual and striking design.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Are all the sections equal length as it looks like the butt is extended. I have a rod that looks pretty much the same, but the cork handle is quite a bit shorter than yours.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I can't find much out about Priory Rods apart from them being in Bournemouth. I did read it was a one-man outfit who pretty much made what you wanted to order so many of them will possibly be bespoke rods, though he'd surely have had some basic all-rounders in stock to sell if asked for.

The 'light-dark' strip thing wasn't always used and I would suggest that extra work suggests a high specification rod made to order. Abbey and Grove of Sudbury did a similar thing but nothing so marked as your rod there.

It should have a rubber button on the end of the handle, by the way...I'm sure you can find one at a boot fair of tackle fair...they all use the same thread and are even still available in that old pitch too.

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/425

GrahamV
Ruffe

Post by GrahamV »

Cheers Nobby it's nice to think it could be a one off special and I've been thinking about finding a rubber button for the rod for a while, I will have to invest!! All the section are the right length Reedling and the furrules match and look original to the rod. I never really thought about the handle being extra long but when you guys point it out it's much longer than my 10ft Chapmans 500??

Thanks for all the great comments guys!!

Graham

GrahamV
Ruffe

Post by GrahamV »

A daft video clip from this October on the Shropshire Union Canal. I was Lucky despite the number of boats going through the pound to catch a few nice roach on a waggler and double maggot with the Priory!

https://youtu.be/MDvBExY2aTc

Cheers

Graham

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Nice one G! Thanks for showing us...

Return to “Priory of Bournemouth Cane Rods”