Are Oliver Brothers Oliver’s of Knebworth?

The Oliver's of Knebworth Rods forum.
Albert47
Dace

Re: Are Oliver Brothers Oliver’s of Knebworth?

Post by Albert47 »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 pm Ted Oliver was Oliver's of Knebworth and I think he sold the name on to someone who became Oliver’s Rods.
Ted also had a landscaping business called E Oliver& Sons Landscaping Contractors.He much preferred doing the gardening to making fishing rods.

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

The logo on your rod was used by Ted when he first made rods for himself, and not other retailers.This would date your rod to 1957ish.Could you please let me know the length of the rod.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Albert47 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 am The logo on your rod was used by Ted when he first made rods for himself, and not other retailers.This would date your rod to 1957ish.Could you please let me know the length of the rod.
That is a very early and rare glass topped rod then Albert47. :Thumb:

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Albert47 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 am The logo on your rod was used by Ted when he first made rods for himself, and not other retailers.This would date your rod to 1957ish.Could you please let me know the length of the rod.
It’s 10 feel long.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, I did think it was Ted's colours, but the song reference is unusual! Fibreglass first appeared on UK rods in 1953 in very limited amounts, so Ted was very early to use it here.

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Reedling wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 am
That is a very early and rare glass topped rod then Albert47. :Thumb:
Most rod tips in glass during that period were made of solid glass.The tip on your rod,if original should be hollow glass.This rod was almost certainly built to a customers specification.I would have thought the original tip would of been split cane, and the glass one is a replacement,but of course I may be wrong.I have never ever seen a glass tipped cane rod made by Ted.One thing you can be sure of its a well built rod and will be a joy to USE.Lucky man.

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Thanks very much for this information!
I will use it. Even close up it looks like a cane rod. It’s beautifully made.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 pm Ted Oliver was Oliver's of Knebworth and I think he sold the name on to someone who became Oliver’s Rods.
Peter Johnson bought the stock and goodwill from Ted Oliver , and trades as Olivers Rods.

he lives in Cheshire , and still builds rods and does renovations , although he is no spring chicken.
he appears on Ebay under Faldocourt. ....a useful chap for those hard to find bits and pieces

G

Return to “Oliver's of Knebworth Cane Rods”