What's this method called?

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

What's this method called?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I was chatting with someone on the bank about having trouble float fishing a swim with quite a slope on it. He described something a bit like this but didn't know the name of it.

(I'll never be an artist, will I?)

This is in a still water for carp and other larger fish, with big baits like spam.

I don't think it's stret pegging because that is done in moving water with a bow in the line, like this:

:Confused:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: What's this method called?

Post by Santiago »

Laying on ! Very good when rivers flow just a tad quick for trotting.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I thought laying on was just a general term for having some line on the bottom, even if it's just a few centimeters. So normal waggler fishing could be called laying on too?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Laying on was covered a few days ago MD. You are essentially right but the float is set quite a bit over depth.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It you fish over depth with all the shot on the bottom then surely the float will lift when the bait is picked up so it's a form of the lift method (which I guess is a form of laying on).
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

thats exactly how i have been trying to catch the carp in the local pond and failing i might add :surrender:

regards

bjp :Hat:

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

the way I float fish in deep water (deeper than the length of the rod) where its difficult to cast a float or theres an uneven bottom is to use
a float like this (see below), a self cocker with a swivel style wide eye, attach 2 BB to the line about 4-6 inches from the hook (but make sure the distance between the shot & hook is not longer than the float itself)
I then tie a piece of line to the mainline as a stopknot (overdepth)
The float slides freely on the line, so its easy to cast as it sits against the BB's when casting, once you have cast out, the BB's sink straight down the bottom (anchoring the bait) & the float slides up & cocks, you then tighten the line & set the float.

Its basically a sliding float setup that I use for Tench fishing
(the floats are middy carp floats, you can remove the tip & fit a starlight into them for night fishing)
Its a simple setup, that allows you to cast a long way due to the weight of the float & means you can move about & fish different areas of the swim without having to adjust the float depth each time.

Last edited by Northern Eel on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Snape wrote:It you fish over depth with all the shot on the bottom then surely the float will lift when the bait is picked up so it's a form of the lift method (which I guess is a form of laying on).
Because of the larger distance between the shot and the bait (doesn't the lift call for it to be very close?) I think the fish is likely to start moving off before the shot is lifted and therefore the float will go under? That's how the chap described bites anyway.

I'll be giving it a try in a few days hopefully.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Snape...I agree...."laying on"......the float lifts whenever I fish that way...

Necarper

Post by Necarper »

I've always called this simply 'float ledger', get a lift or a pull under if the fish runs. Been using this method for carp and tench and called it that for some 40 years.

Return to “Ledgering”