Fixed or Sliding Ledger Rig

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Fixed or Sliding Ledger Rig

Post by Mark »

Which is of the following two rigs is best when ledgering the far side of a slow moving river that is not to wide. Obviously the same amount of SSG can be placed on both rigs to hold bottom.

The Fixed Paternoster Rig
Fig 1.jpg
The Fred J. Link Ledger Rig
Fig 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Fixed or Sliding Ledger Rig

Post by Olly »

I like a paternoster rig for holding place on the far bank fished with a big bow in the line which, if the lead/feeder is heavy enough, makes a semi-self hooking rig!

Different on a fast flowing river - upstream ledgering for dropbacks can be very effective!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I like the FJ link Mark as it is free running however I nowadays tend to use a free running link swivel as its more free running that a loop in the line. Don't be too worried about the amount of lead you use, its job is to keep your bait where you want it and a free running rig should work the same regardless of weight.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Dave Burr wrote:I like the FJ link Mark as it is free running however I nowadays tend to use a free running link swivel as its more free running that a loop in the line. Don't be too worried about the amount of lead you use, its job is to keep your bait where you want it and a free running rig should work the same regardless of weight.
Do you still use a small stop shot on the line Dave.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Sometimes Mark but I usually use a swivel to lighter hooklink or maybe a braided one.

If you Google 'John Roberts link swivel' and click on Shopping you should see the beads and free running rings that you can attach a line or swivel to.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Another possibility is to tie a big loop in the line then cut it.
On one strand you put your SSGs and the other the hook. It works a bit like the paternoster.
You can vary the length depending on where you cut the loop.
If it is snaggy I use plasticine on the paternoster instead of SSGs.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Snape wrote:Another possibility is to tie a big loop in the line then cut it.
On one strand you put your SSGs and the other the hook. It works a bit like the paternoster.
I might give the plasticine a try Nigel.
Mark (Administrator)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:I might give the plasticine a try Nigel.
Newplast modelling clay in dark brown is good.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Snape wrote:Another possibility is to tie a big loop in the line then cut it.
That is basically how I fish when trundling baits around the river. I give the SSG a Newplast (none smelling modern plasticine type product) coating as it stops the rattle on gravel and I find I lose less shot this way.

Problem with a running link and a real frustrating one is that you can find yourself spending 10 minutes slowly searching the swim, teasing the weights downstream in the current, only to find when you wind in that that is exactly what you were doing when you find the hook stuck in a bit of weed at the start of your trundle.

The other thing with the way Snape describes is that the only bits of terminal tackle needed is the hook and the weight. No need for swivels, beads or any other alien paraphernalia.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I misunderstood and thought you wanted to hold fast Mark. If you are exploring the swim then nothing beats plasticine or rather Newplast, the newer stuff which is excellent. If you find the plasticine comes off too easily or slides up and down the line, try moulding it around a stop knot or maybe a swivel if you are using a different hooklink.

Moving the bait down the current and feeling for bites is a brilliant method that many people seem to ignore. Feeling the pick up and the first contact with a fish is addictive.

Return to “Ledgering”