Using spinners with a centrepin

This forum is for discussing Lure Fishing.
Duckett
Tench

Using spinners with a centrepin

Post by Duckett »

Does anyone have any experience using cane spinning rods with centrepins? I've read that they used to have the 'pin on top of the rod, baitcaster style, with the line coming off the side near the rod (under the circumstances, I'm avoiding using "top" and "bottom"). I'm assuming that on Aerial style reels, the wheel drag was tightened until the spinner or lure just dropped gently from the rod tip, taking line without an over run, and that the thumb was used as a break when casting. Question is, has anyone tried it with any success?

So far, I've used a Mitchell CAP with my cane spinning rod but I'm thinking of giving a 3 inch Aerial Popular a go. Thanks in advance.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Joshluke
Dace

Re: Using spinners with a centrepin

Post by Joshluke »

I can't speak from experience so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but wouldn't using a pin the same way as a bait caster be a tad unorthodox? A line guard may help a little, however I feel you would still struggle with even a tiny amount of wind.
I suppose like anything it could be worth a try, but maybe take the Mitchell with you to save having to end the day early.
Hopefully, a more knowledgeable member will provide more help than myself. If you do try it, please inform me of the results as you have gotten me curious.
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I think you would be better off using a Mitchell 300 or similar traditional fixed spool reel. For one, you're going to be able to cast much further, and more importantly, more accurately, which is essential for lure fishing because the better fish tend to be near the underside of trees etc.etc and obstructions!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Cheers! I see where everyone is coming from and, as I said, I have always used my Mitchell CAP for cane spinning. I find the 300 too large and heavy for most of my lure work with cane, which tends to be on the light side. Thing is, I’m interested in the fact that some centrepins used to be used for casting lure fishing, I’m going to give it a go and wondered if others here had tried.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The centrepins used for spinning twist around on the handle so that the side faces the rings. I think they're called side casters. Maybe try one of them!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

You could use a centrepin in the same way as you do with a multiplier as long as you have sufficient weight to pull the line off the reel, but you would need to be proficient at multiplier casting to try it really so you know the feel of it so to speak. You could use a centrepin and cast in the same way as a Wallis cast, it depends how good you are at Wallis casting to get a good result and the accuracy required to place the spinner on target. A rolling pin where you turn the spool to the same position as a fixed spool would be the easiest to cast with. I look forward to reading what methods you use and the results you achieve.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

The Hardy Silex range of reels were designed for spinning, and they are essentially a centrepin reel.

Hardy designed these reels over the years/models with various improved breaking mechanisms to help reduce overruns.

In the Anglers Guides they were recommended for spinning for Salmon, trout and pike, they also demonstrated how to set up the braking mechanism and cast.

I use a 4" Silex reel for Barbel,

This lovely little rare 3 1/4" Silex I use trotting for grayling.

The inside showing the braking mechanism, when the mechanism is off, the reel spins like a dream.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Using spinners with a centrepi

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions so far gentleman. Below I have uploaded photographs of the 2 things which got me thinking about this on a hot day sat at the back of a very dull seminar!

The first is the label on the box of my tiny 3 inch Aerial Popular, clearly stating that it is for spinning ...... I’ve wondered how ever since I acquired it! The second is page 166 of Bernard Venables “The Angler’s Companion” where he describes how to cast a spinner with a centrepin. On the facing page, he describes casting spinners with the “new” multipliers. Earlier, on page 112, he writes about the Aerial having been designed for lure fishing prior to the emergence of the fixed spool. The only difference in rig that I can see is the addition of a weight above the leader which the spinner is attached to - bearing out Reedlings point I think. I haven’t used additional weight above the trace or leader on a lure rig, with the exception of soft plastics, for years. Weighted hooks I do use.

I used to be a dab hand casting with a multiplier, constantly tweaking my ABU7000 and 5000 to improve distance and accuracy. However, when I gradually moved over entirely to lure fishing about 25 years years ago, I stopped using them! Since I returned to bait fishing in fresh water, the thing that excited me was centrepins, so I’m hoping casting with multiplier is like riding a bike and my fingers and arms remember it when I try with the Popular!

Thanks for the photographs and description of the Silex Paul. I can see how a lever action brake would help.

Anyway, hopefully, after my summer holiday I can report back on how it went. However, I’ll make sure there aren’t any innocent bystanders nearby!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I fished the boil at Dungeness we used a red Gill lure with an in-line barrel type lead to give weight for casting. We used reverse taper type rods with 6000's. As you have cast with a multiplier and have tweaked reels for distance I think you will cast fine and the casting weight will be the factor that will need to be sorted. I have cast 1/2-1oz bomb with a centrepin but have used a sideways flowing fling without a jerk. Remember if you use a light line that you could crack off and as on a multiplier a shock leader may help.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Reedling wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:26 pm When I fished the boil at Dungeness we used a red Gill lure with an in-line barrel type lead to give weight for casting. We used reverse taper type rods with 6000's. As you have cast with a multiplier and have tweaked reels for distance I think you will cast fine and the casting weight will be the factor that will need to be sorted. I have cast 1/2-1oz bomb with a centrepin but have used a sideways flowing fling without a jerk. Remember if you use a light line that you could crack off and as on a multiplier a shock leader may help.
Good points those. I’m planning on baby steps first ..... flick casts in smallish stillwaters for perch. I’ll look at things again if that works.

Return to “Lure Fishing”