For those who haven't tried canal fishing recently ...

This forum belongs to the Ashby Canal.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

For those who haven't tried canal fishing recently ...

Post by AshbyCut »

... this report in a local newspaper in January this year suggests that it may prove fruitful :-

http://www.hinckleytimes.net/sport/othe ... al-6456473

... but it was on the stretch leased to a club.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: For those who haven't tried canal fishing recently ...

Post by MaggotDrowner »

When I was a child I regularly went and caught big carp from the canal with my Dad. Canals do hold big fish and I think people forget them and don't fish them much. I have to admit I too neglect my local canal these days too, but the boaters going past all the time do my head in! I used to love fishing in spots where the boaters couldn't go though.

You can read a bit I wrote on my local canal and the carp fishing I did with my Dad (including pictures) here:
viewtopic.php?f=335&t=12428&hilit=boat+lift

No pike in the Trent and Mersey though, according to my club book.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I walked a couple of miles along the tow path of my local canal at the weekend. What lovely walk.
Plenty of lovely fishy looking spots too.
No sign of huge pike, but definately some spots that are just begging to be fished :whistle:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

My brother once caught an 18lb carp from the Oxford canal in Banbury town centre.
He was fishing with a light float set up, and my other brother had to stop the barges while the fish was being gingerly played.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Canals are usually unusual waters that often contain surprises, I used to fish the Taunton to Bridgewater canal and it had big fish of all species. Carp, pike, bream, tench, roach and rudd were often seen in the clear shallow water - catching them however...

The lock gate that separated the canal from the Tone collapsed and the Taunton section suddenly contained some massive carp to just over 30lbs, mind you, they soon disappeared when bivvies started appearing along the banks :Cursing: I did also fluke a 2lb 3oz rudd from the river that had doubtless come in at the same time.

Return to “Ashby Canal”