fishing the canal at at Godknow Bridge Crowle

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Dean194bt
Stickleback

fishing the canal at at Godknow Bridge Crowle

Post by Dean194bt »

As a child I often fished the drains and canal at Crowle North Lincs in the 1980s. It was quite a depressing area and Crowle at the time was like Tombstone especially when you were a peculiarly weedy child frightened of his own shadow. I went to secondary school nearby and had learned my value there. I was not considered bright, couldn't fight, couldn't play football, didn't have fashionable clothes and most people hated me. I found solace in the canal (the Stainforth and Keadby Canal) I caught roach which shone and sparkled in my hand like precious bars of silver, green mysterious perch and hundreds of bootlace eels. I learned about the strange long billed birds - sandpipers eking out a living in the ditches that ran adjacent to the canal.
I was always happiest here alone, but always keeping a look out for groups of lads that would pummel me into the ground if they came across me. So I learned to fish in hidden places away from the popular sites. I learned about the fish in the dark featureless waters - spending hours stalking them and observing their habits. It wasn't a happy childhood, but it was made bearable by my love of angling. Did anybody else fish the canal at Crowle in the eighties who are members of this forum?
Regards,
Dean194bt

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: fishing the canal at at Godknow Bridge Crowle

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Hi Dean,
Nor personally, but I have a good friend who used to fish it with his brother back in the 1960's travelling from Bolton-on-Dearne to Crowle on his motorbike to fish for pike. He also did some wildfowling down there. He often used to talk about it.

Return to “Other Canals”