Barbel

Re: Basingstoke canal

Post by Liphook »

Lovely Moley! Your reports always make me smile :Sun:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Many thanks for the kind words Liphook and Craig M.

Whereabouts do you intend having a go on the Bassie Craig M?

The section Fatty usually route marches is between Knaphill and Deepcut and can be surprisingly full of fish at certain times.....nowadays only ever Drop Shots the place as sitting still seems to draw attention from people you don't want attention from!

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Moley proves his worth against an aggressive opponent ... and catches a splendid pike too !!!

Congratulations on both feats, Sir ! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well done Moley! - - Only 5 mins from home - but never visited it!

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:30 am Moley proves his worth against an aggressive opponent ... and catches a splendid pike too !!!

Congratulations on both feats, Sir ! :Hat:
Kind words Mal, pike are always a joy to catch as they fight really well and to be honest anything over ten pounds is big enough for me nowadays :Hat:

Perch have worked their way up in my affections too.
Olly wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:20 pm Well done Moley! - - Only 5 mins from home - but never visited it!
Worth a go Olly especially as tier 4 allows only local fishing at present. There are some big carp in this canal but they do take some finding, decent bream, perch and pike.

The only problem with it is the tow path is very busy with walkers, dogs, runners and rude cyclists who mistakenly believe it is their right to race their mates as fast as they can with scant regard for others......I'm thinking of investing in a 'Stinger' and heavy duty club hammer to dispatch them humanely :eyebrow:

As ever,.........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think it is an Angling Club I don't belong to!

5kg of tacks could help! :Scared: If you do get some could you get me 10kg for the Kennet & Avon canal? A similar situation occurring there. :Chuckle:

PS: - Just found they do day tickets on the bank - handy for those not so local to know about!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

BCAA ticket has been added to my Grayshott membership at no extra charge this season so looking forward to fishing it again after an absence of a couple of years.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Basingstoke Canal used to be a haunt of Fatty back in the day.

Some stretches used to seem devoid of fish and others were rammed.

Perch on light spinners/ drop shotting were wonderful adversaries with some caught well over 3lbs.

Carp to 20lbs were possible for the dedicated but match style could get low doubles as proven by Fatty winning the Triple Crown series of matches with the Post Office. Also did remarkably well in a National on here too!

Got the cups and medals to prove it too.

Tench used to be good upstream of Fleet with some enormous pike too.

High teens was the best managed by yours truly but there were rumours of bigger.

All on day ticket but some local clubs are affiliated so can be fished on club tickets too.

Used to be able to buy tickets in advance or pay a bit extra and pay a cycling bailiff, the upside being if you did not see one the fishing was free!

Stretches in Woking Town centre were fishable and did have fish but best avoided early or late as it could get a little tasty for the wrong reasons.

The only other downside was lycra clad terrorists charging along the tow path with very little concern for others, shouting at the unsuspecting to get out of the way as though by right. A certain Fat Bloke ignored these oafs pointing out to said clods that the towpath rules actually advised these aggressive mamils that they should dismount and walk if the path traffic was busy and give way to pedestrians.....most did not like their authority challenged and bridled at such until pointedly told that their bikes did not float!

Obviously this threat was only a last resort to the really obtuse.

Reason is beyond some when they don lycra or wetsuits as worn by canoe dwellers.

Anyways a lovely canal with most days being fine and dandy with good fish to be had.

Hope this is helpful?

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Thank you for reminding me Moley.

I will fish very early to avoid too much "traffic".......

Return to “Other Canals”