Royal military canal [HYTHE]

This forum belong to the other Canals.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Royal military canal [HYTHE]

Post by RBTraditional »

Olly wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:56 pm I am able to fish the Rother Fishery Assn section - but never even seen it!
It’s lovely Olly, reed fringed margins, lots of lilies and weed, big bream and tench, pike, perch and all the other species you’d expect from a lowland waterway and real Crabtree territory, bearing in mind BV was brought up a stones throw away, take a rake, you’ll love it!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The section run by the Rother Fishery Assn is between Iden lock and Appledore. It would take me double the time to get there as opposed to the Avon!

I may give it a try in the summer!

The Kennet/Kennet and Avon canal is about the only one I fish and that can flow very quickly! This seems to be a slow moving canal or a long still water?

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

The canal was built 30 yards across and 9 ft deep, just enough to drown a man. It had a zig zag pattern so guns could be mounted on the points and fired down the canal. Considered to be a folly as Napoleon would have crossed it in an hour and never came over anyway. It is badly silted up 3ft-4ft if your lucky and weed growing leaving just a gap in the middle in the summer. The levels are dropped in the winter so even shallower however, I believe it is deeper the Hythe end and more weed free and the EA are dredging some stretches I believe. A lovely walk, maybe 50 miles in all and nice tench and some big rudd. Challenging in places but a nice water.

The dykes around about usually not very good, stunted rudd but you never know, my surprise..

Return to “Other Canals”