Bristol Feeder Canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
ExeAngler
Chub

Bristol Feeder Canal

Post by ExeAngler »

I have found out about a new venue in Bristol. It is the Bristol Feeder Canal and connects the Bristol Avon to Bristol Docks. With a bit of luck I hope to give it a go this Summer. It is around 40 miles from me. Anyone ever fished it? It is Free fishing and holds Roach, Dace, Perch and Bream.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Bristol Feeder Canal

Post by Dave Burr »

The Feeder Canal, I remember it well. When I joined the police the Feeder was on the boarder of my patch so I spent a lot of time around there. It was an industrial wasteland back then with the overpowering stench of the place that dealt with bone and hooves (glue making?). I had to go in there several times and the entire floor of the large building was crawling with maggots.

The canal was generally thought to be dead, it certainly didn't look appealing and bubbled up through the mirk like a witches brew. But after a couple of years, I saw a few fish topping so a mate of mine joined me on an evening expedition. We caught plenty of eels and missed a few very fast bites so figured that life really did exist in there.

Since then - and that was the mid-seventies - its been cleaned up and yes, it is a viable fishery. It would never be number 1 on my list of attractive venues but I expect much of the industry has gone and hopefully the bone yard has been closed.

If you do fish it Exeangler, I shall be extremely interested in how you get on. Tight lines.

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Re: Bristol Feeder Canal

Post by Dendrobaena »

I might give that one ago myself...
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Return to “Other Canals”