South Yorkshire Navigation Canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: South Yorkshire Navigation Canal

Post by Penninelad »

Would anyone like to join me for a day on the SYN? I have caught to some decent perch in recent weeks and on my last two visits lost two very big perch.Lobworms and float fished gudgeon are attracting the better perch although a bunch of brandlings is also effective.There are also plenty of silver fish showing and our hemp and tares anglers would do well. Day tickets are available on the bank( if the bailiff is in attendance which is very rare)and for the less mobile you can fish very close to your vehicle.Bendsomecane may also be persuaded to join us .Send me a PM and we will fix a suitable date.
Mark Davies

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Sounds fun, I could be tempted. I have various commitments (Hols and trips) in September, but if you settle on a date I am free then count me in. I guess it would be even better in the winter?
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I would like to join you Mark date dependant of course. As far as I can remember I haven't caught a perch over a pound but would love to remedy this situation!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Dependant on date, I would be interested. Nice to meet up with you all, although it would be for the roach fishing

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Barbelseeker wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 am Dependant on date, I would be interested. Nice to meet up with you all, although it would be for the roach fishing
So you will catch some Gudgeon livebaits for me?😉
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Subject to holidays, I'd love to join you all again.
It's been a long time since Ravensfield, and the greenheart top on my old cane rod had been mended!

Lovely perch Andy, and your assistant photographer has done an excellent job!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:56 am
Barbelseeker wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 am Dependant on date, I would be interested. Nice to meet up with you all, although it would be for the roach fishing
So you will catch some Gudgeon livebaits for me?😉
Sorry bob, my gudgeon are normally as big as your medium barbel, so will be too big I think :) :Hahaha:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have fixed the date for Sunday 15th September.I suggest we meet at the entrance to the canal at Carlisle Street,Kilnehurst,Rotherham at 10.00am.There is a locked barrier.If this is opened you can get your vehicle close to where you want to fish.Suggested baits,maggots,brandlings and gudgeon.Prawns appear not to work despite me using them over many sessions.Hemp and tare men may like to attend.Cake will be provided.A tip is not to fish too far out.The big perch have got into the habit of grabbing silver fish just as pole anglers haul them in.
Mark Davies

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I am fishing on the Wye that weekend. Hey Ho, next time perhaps. I hope you all catch some biggies.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Liphook wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 pm I stand corrected - I'm not familiar with painted whole cane but as ever on here I'm learning :Hat:
Seems to have been a Sheffield thing at one time. I've got a Mordex 'Witham' which is whole cane painted red with a built cane top joint and porobably about the same age as BSC's rod.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Other Canals”