Montgomery canal

This forum belong to the other Canals.
Rodders
Stickleback

Montgomery canal

Post by Rodders »

For those local or interested in a trip. Yearly permits for the 33 miles of Prince Albert AC are now available from their secretary. You can print off application forms from their website. Cost is £15 per anum. If your into disused canals its worth a trip.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Montgomery canal

Post by Duckett »

Rodders wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:03 pm For those local or interested in a trip. Yearly permits for the 33 miles of Prince Albert AC are now available from their secretary. You can print off application forms from their website. Cost is £15 per anum. If your into disused canals its worth a trip.
That takes me back. My parents, brother and I were members of PAAC when I was a teenager in the 1970s. I’m sure I recall fishing the Monty, a wonderfully peaceful and clean canal with plenty of fish, though some of it was as clear as a chalk stream and less than a foot deep.

Thanks for posting this, might be worth a short break in the area.

Phil
Last edited by Duckett on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have been a member of the PAAC for many years and have fished the canal on odd occasions,usually in conjunction with fishing for chub on the Upper Severn.Its very much a summer water.Much of the canal is de watered and it is heavily weeded so you need to equip yourself with a weed rake.Most if the of it accessible from the road between Oswestry to Welshpool.I I have caught Good Rudd,tench,roach,perch and pike over the years. It is little fished and I understand that plans are in hand to make it completely navigable,although that may be a long term project.
Mark Davies

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Penninelad wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm I have been a member of the PAAC for many years and have fished the canal on odd occasions,usually in conjunction with fishing for chub on the Upper Severn.Its very much a summer water.Much of the canal is de watered and it is heavily weeded so you need to equip yourself with a weed rake.Most if the of it accessible from the road between Oswestry to Welshpool.I I have caught Good Rudd,tench,roach,perch and pike over the years. It is little fished and I understand that plans are in hand to make it completely navigable,although that may be a long term project.
Does it still have shallow sections PL? I also recall some sealed up breaks. I reckon it's going to be a long job making it navigable if it does.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Yes in some sections it is very shallow and flows like a river.
Mark Davies

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

This canal features prominently in a nice little book 'Spinners Delight' by Thurlow Craig. As the title suggests it's mainly about spinning and particularly for Pike. Lots of details for making lures and also some old photos of the canal.

Return to “Other Canals”