Foster Bros 'Brook' Rod

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Foster Bros 'Brook' Rod

Post by AshbyCut »

My thanks for your reply Stephen, Sir. You have a pm.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Interesting. Having posted about the combination Fosters long and short rod. It would appear that yours has the possibility of a similar option (ferrule at the handle).

Interestingly the rod I was adapting (elasticane) has an almost identical turned wooden button on the handle
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It was always going to be a long term project ... but thanks to TFF member Stephen Woolley the next step has been taken, and I collected the rod from him at Redditch Tackle fair today.

The rod went back home to Ashbourne in his care, and not only has he expertly hand made new ferrules for it (and blued them beautifully !!!), but he took the trouble to restore the cork on the handle while he was about it.

Marvellous work ... thank you Stephen, Sir. Now it's up to me to strip the rod, and renew the guides and whippings.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a delightful little thing sir, I too have tiny little 3wt brook rod, its a tribute to the rod builders art that they could deal with such thin and delicate strips of cane. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Paul D wrote:What a delightful little thing sir, I too have tiny little 3wt brook rod, its a tribute to the rod builders art that they could deal with such thin and delicate strips of cane. :Hat:
Thank you Paul, Sir. It received some admiring and avaricious glances at Redditch when I collected it !!!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The little butt section has now been whipped, sealed, and a first coat of varnish applied.

Trying to keep as close as possible to the original colours, I'm using Piper's Silks 90/2 Gloss Red, edged with a Utica 00 Pure Silk Green No 5041 I found on the internet.

I have yet to decide on the guides, as the originals are so small ... but I may plump for snakes.

Don't expect rapid progress, as even though it's only a 5ft. 6in. rod there are 65 intermediate whippings ... starting at 1/2 inch spacings !!! My eyes !!! My eyes !!!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Coming along nicely Sir :Hat: I must find a suitable reel for my tiddler .

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Jeez! You do love a challenge don't you Mal!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Paul D wrote:Coming along nicely Sir :Hat: I must find a suitable reel for my tiddler .
May I recommend to you a Young's Jubilee? Light as a feather and lovely to behold.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”