Light avon rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Light avon rod

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends,would anybody know if there was ever an Avon that had a test curve of less than a 1lb ,they all seem to be about a 1lb or more ,nice through action with a lenght of 10 foot would be interesting ,just a through. Thank you Reelmaker.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Light avon rod

Post by Santiago »

I've got one that's called The Chevin but it's from an unknown maker, and is about 91/2' long. It makes a great boat trotting rod. It's whole cane butt with middle and tip of built cane. It's like a mini Avocet.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I'm just putting one together using shortened sections from donor rods. It will be through actioned with a test curve of about 3/4 lb. I'm aiming to keep the weight below 10 oz. It will be whipped with red/black jaspe silk double tipped with black and the intermediates will also be black. It will be in three sections with blued ferrules, agate lined butt and tip rings and high bells intermediates.
It's something I've been wanting to do for some time having seen a Minidale restored by Wal. It should be a nice small river/stream float rod and suited to some of the tighter swims on the Derwent where overhanging trees make a longer rod difficult to use. I have named it the "Wisp"
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Reminds me that I have another light Avon. It's a converted fly rod. Excellent gudgeon and roach rod.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

You might find it worthwhile researching some of the rods designed for roach fishing. I suspect many will have a test curve of about 12oz. I'm fairly sure a few will be 10' rather than the 11' of the Avocet type rods.

Here's one example…
https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/rare- ... n-whipped/
The Split Cane Splinter Group

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends,I am finding the the rods mentions are very interesting ,it seems most makers concentrated on 10-6inches being the shortest, except for ledgering lenghts which have a more stouter top section,there does seem that anglers fishing the smaller venues have to have a custom built rod to suit their smaller rivers and streams.It will be interesting to see Jeremy's finish rod similar to the Aspindale Minidale ,the only one I've ever seen or heard off ,Thank you Reelmaker.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

ReelMaker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm Good evening friends,I am finding the the rods mentions are very interesting ,it seems most makers concentrated on 10-6inches being the shortest, except for ledgering lenghts which have a more stouter top section,there does seem that anglers fishing the smaller venues have to have a custom built rod to suit their smaller rivers and streams.It will be interesting to see Jeremy's finish rod similar to the Aspindale Minidale ,the only one I've ever seen or heard off ,Thank you Reelmaker.
I have decided to make the "Wisp" a twin tip rod. I have a tip section which is thicker in taper than the light "float tip" I have just finished which will add some versatility to the rod.
Just hoping I have enough of the red/black jaspe thread to complete the second tip! :Beg:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning your project sounds very interesting. Reelmaker

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,friends the Roach Avon that Beresford highlighted does look to be a good choice of build as to keeping the weight down,whole cane butt section with the split cane top,did any other rod makers have that design in a two piece.?I wonder.Reelmaker

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

It's been marked up as sold now.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”