J Clayton of Boston “Fenland” ferruleless rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

J Clayton of Boston “Fenland” ferruleless rod

Post by Duckett »

For about 3 years, I’ve been on the lookout for a ferruleless rod. Up until last week, all the ones I saw where either too expensive, I was outbid or I was suspicious about the condition.

Last week I finally managed to win an auction for one on a certain website. It’s a J. Clayton of Boston “Fenland” ferruleless rod. I’m assuming it’s Spanish Reed and from my reading here, I believe it’s by Jack Clayton, rumoured inventor of the swingtip. There is a middle initial but it doesn’t seem to conform to any of the cursive capitals that I learned at school.

Condition was better than expected. I’ve started cleaning the cork handle and reducing the diameter a bit, so that the reel bands slide slightly higher up. The varnish is old but appears sound over the whole reed and split cane tip - which is the finest I’ve ever seen and has a slight downward droop. The rings are in such good condition that I am convinced they have been replaced but a long time ago (I could be wrong). The black whippings over rings and joints appear sound as do the huge number of red intermediates.

At some stage I shall have the tip straightened, if possible, and have her re-varnished but I’m frankly over the moon about her.

So, before the photographs below, 2 questions to my fellow TFFers. Firstly, is there anything I need to do to take care of the ferrules? Secondly, what maximum line strength would you recommend - looking at the tip, I’m thinking 3lb maximum.

Cheers,

Phil
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: J Clayton of Boston “Fenland” ferruleless rod

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think that looks like whole cane rather than reed. I'll check it out tomorrow on a big screen which should show more detail but the nodes look too far apart for spanish reed and convex rather than concave.

Wal.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes, I saw this as well. The double whipping on the male ferrule part looked rather unique. A nice purchase.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

BendSomeCane is a fan of Clayton's rod and I tried to persuade him to bid for this one but he could not be persuaded! He missed a bargain as it looked like a very fine rod.It was interesting that the vendor actually resided in Boston,Lincs.
Mark Davies

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The rod looks beautiful Phil, real treasure.
It definitely looks like whole cane and has more than likely been hollow bored for lightness.

There was another cane or reed used, white cane, I believe it came from the southern states of USA and I think another similar cane or reed came from Japan. This was very light like Spanish reed but it had the nodes much further apart so it could even be made from that. I had a Hardy rod made from this Japanese cane and it was unbelievably light.

Ferruless rod were difficult to get right as it is such a gradual taper but a few makers seem to have got it off to a fine art. The Japanese pole makers are great at getting the fit right and they use paint to build it up until perfect.

As for the ferrules, just rub over the male with a candle now and then. this will keep it a smooth fit and stop it wearing out.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It’s nice to have a better idea of what I have. As any of you who have read about some of my other purchases know, I tend to buy on instinct! Aside from the droop to the split cane tip, she really is a delight and I look forward to using her on some swims I know for Rudd and Roach ...... and a Gonk or three if I am lucky!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”