Any ideas what this one is please ?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Any ideas what this one is please ?

Post by Keston »

Hi
Just wondering if anyone might have a thought on what this is ?
Looks Chapmans 500 ish , but dark cane , different ferrules, looks like someone has roughly whipped on a reel seat and some more modern eyes .
The ferrule in the handle looks like a Chapmans and it appears someone has reshaped the cork .

The cane itself is sound as is the handle, all ferrules are tight and pop but one looks to need regluing .

Action is lovely , a little softer than my 500

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Any ideas what this one is please ?

Post by Paul F »

Hi John, looks like a 500 that has been messed around with, but could be a 550 or a myriad of a number of similar looking rods. You could always measure the tapers and check against the chapman tapers which are readily available.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks for the response Paul , It does look very much like a 500 that has been messed with , with the exception the cane is very dark.
I guess if there are many generic copied It would be difficult to learn the identity .

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

As already said, there are many of this design of rod out there, I have one that has obviously been refurbished, again very dark cane, and marked in ink as a 500. But it is to long to fit in a brand new 500 bag??????
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Hi John, I agree with the previous comments from Paul and Rod, it could have come from a number of different sources and been 'modified' or not! The cane does not look particularly dark but that may just be me being misled by the photo's! If you can tinker with it yourself, it seems as if it will make a fine rod! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Rod wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:35 am As already said, there are many of this design of rod out there, I have one that has obviously been refurbished, again very dark cane, and marked in ink as a 500. But it is to long to fit in a brand new 500 bag??????
Thanks Rod
The section lengths and handle length on this one are the same as a 500 . Trying to find my micrometer to check tapers .
BW
John

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 am Hi John, I agree with the previous comments from Paul and Rod, it could have come from a number of different sources and been 'modified' or not! The cane does not look particularly dark but that may just be me being misled by the photo's! If you can tinker with it yourself, it seems as if it will make a fine rod! :Hat:
Im pretty sure this would make a fine rod , im really taken with the action.
Sadly my tinkering days are over but this deserves to get back on the bank .
BW
John

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

The 500 is my rod of choice, I have rods that would have cost loads more, when new, but they just don't have the balance of a 500. My first one was bought from a member on here, I now have three 500's and two 550's, all slightly different. I hope your ferrule is okay, as Chapman's have run out of the brass work for 500's, on one of mine I had to have a completely new set fitted, by the bloke who took over the Oliver's name, when Ted packed it in through ill heath. He did a great job, but being a heavier set it did alter the balance a bit.
Looking at the photo you put up, the rod is well worth fixing, you will find these rods will handle Tench and up to medium Carp, I use them for float or ledger, and have had some of my best fish on cane with them.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”