Toddlers cane rod....

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Toddlers cane rod....

Post by Catfish.017 »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:51 pm Knowing his parents, it could really be a one off, there is no fishing or hunting in either of them, but down the canal, sat on the old buggers knee and sharing the rod and reel duties may just open the little ones mind that when they visit us, they remember the little fish caught at the canal. This is the route I will take and like has been said, it would be nice to have a kiddies rod in the rack and it will make me happy whenever I look at it.

Thanks
BByou may well have a pleasant surprise in store as so often interests,skills and traits skip a generation. With myself my paternal grandfather whom I never knew, fished (the sea) and gardened ( fruit and veg) my two lifelong passions along with, like him, good creative handyman skills. My father had no interest in either discipline and couldn't knock a nail in a barn door. He was however quite academic and a good linguist. Our elder daughter has a triple language degree. Skipped again!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Silfield wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm How about an Allcocks Lightcaster in 7'
I have one that I have been using for float work on a very small local river and it is great fun.
I’d second that. My Allcocks Lightcaster would make a perfect first float rod for a child on the canal. Has the advantage, of course, that they could even try spinning for perch with the same set up.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Duckett wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm
Silfield wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm How about an Allcocks Lightcaster in 7'
I have one that I have been using for float work on a very small local river and it is great fun.
I’d second that. My Allcocks Lightcaster would make a perfect first float rod for a child on the canal. Has the advantage, of course, that they could even try spinning for perch with the same set up.
Only having 4 rings it is a doddle to swap uses mid outing. I recently had mine out with a Trudex, trotting a home made reed float for an enjoyable couple of hours catching roach, dace and gudgeon but saw on occasion a small fish breach the surface.Thinking that maybe something a bit larger was lurking, off came the Trudex, on went a 300 with a Mepps spinner. Randomly, the only thing I caught was a black sock!
I am really taken with mine and my 6 year old lad doesn't find it a handful.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

What a lovely idea, BB! There are a couple of very short and light DAM split cane spinning rods. I've got the DAM Wiesent for example. It's a lovely little rod of about 6ft.

Maybe I can find a similar rod for you. I'll keep an eye out.

By the way - 63 isn't too young to be a grandad at all. I hope very much, that my children won't keep me waiting that long. I've given up hope though, that I'll have grandchildren by the age of 50. My 22 year old son hasn't found the right girl yet ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”