Have I got a Hardy or Farlows?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Have I got a Hardy or Farlows?

Post by OldAngler »

ImageRecent posts about locking ferrules on Hardy and Farlows rods set me thinking.

About two years ago I acquired a rod as part of a 'job lot, with locking ferrules. I have been wondering what to do with it ever since.

It is just over nine feet long, two piece, with a butt section of five feet and a tip section of four feet one inch. I strongly suspect that it was originally 10 feet but the tip has been broken off. It has the distinctive locking ferrules,Image hence my interest. See photos below.
It is split cane with what seems to be a hardwood handle, which is covered in very thin sheet cork. This makes it heavy, weighing in at about 17 ounces.
The butt cap and collar at the top of the handle are brass but there is a semi sliding reel fitting which I am sure is not original. There is no maker's name and no reference numbers on any of the metalwork. It had only five rod rings including tip when I got it and these were quite small, about 6-7 mm I/D, and lined with a translucent material in a pink colour.

Just above the handle the diameter is 14 mm, and 11.7 mm at the top of the butt section. The tip section is 10.5 mm just above the ferrule and 5.7 mm at the 'tip.'

I suspect that it was originally a Salmon and Pike spinning rod but am not at all sure.

Can anyone identify it? Have I got a Hardy or Farlows?
Sorry, slight hicupp with the photos.
ImageImageImage

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Have I got a Hardy or Farlows?

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The ferrule is the Hardy type. Farlows were more bulky.

The type of ferrule that you have was also found in rods made by JJS Walker, Bampton and by his nephew JA Walker. I think that Hardy patented it in the 1880's and the others used it when the patent had expired.

Could you do a close up of the butt cap?

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Photos of butt cap as requested by Clive.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Hi Rod, I thought that there might have been traces of engraving on the butt cap. Seem that it was not engraved or stamped unless you can see something I can't. The ferrule, guide and wrapping are consistent with a JJS Walker or JA Walker rod and I know that both used sheet cork in some instances. But, I don't know if they wrapped hard wood handles with it, and both usually marked the butt cap with their names. Same with Hardy. And I don't think that any of them used a pin to secure the butt cap.

The reel seat is unusual too. Possibly a later addition?

Sorry, can't help.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The sliding reel seat is definitely a later edition. I have similar on carp rods from about the early '60's. Some are Aspindales.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Clive and Olly.
Thank you for your help. It looks as though I have a a Walker, rather than something more exotic!

Let's close this post now.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”